My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just picked up a starter generator for free and i cant seem to find the + and - wires or were they would go. and there are two bolts that stick out one says A and the other says F, i was thinking that those would be the contact points but i dont really know. also would a starter generator fit on a sears custom 10 because the previous owner fried the old gear starter and im tired of pulling it over by hand. :thanku: :thanku:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
The A terminal = armature, the F terminal = fields, grd is at one of the mounting bolts. You wouldn't/shouldn't try to put it on a machine not meant for that type of system. When you apply 12 volts to the A terminal it will work as an electric motor, it's also the main charge terminal, the F terminal (field) is used to regulate the amount of charge when in generator mode.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,446 Posts
It might work on a Sears Custom,since early models came with a starter/generator...some rotate in the "wrong" direction though,they were used on many different tractors and engines,so you'd best be sure it will spin the right way before mounting and wiring it up..might be able to determine what it fits by the tag numbers,if there is any still on it..

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i dont really want it for charging i just wanted it for starting

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,574 Posts
Seems like if you only want to use it as a starter, it might not be so complicated.
I think I would try to learn something about what the wiring for it was originally (like, was it a pos. or neg. ground). If you can find out its part no., then you should be able to find a wiring diagram. Actually, if you can find out what kind of machine it came from, you can find out pos. or neg.

To see which way it turns, it looks like you could short 'F' to ground and connect a battery between 'A' and ground. (You should know if it is pos. or neg. ground for this; not sure what a mistake would mean!! Maybe: :crybaby: )

From there, you could decide if/how it could be mounted to spin the engine and what the wiring needs to be while the engine is running.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts