My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 4 bolens husky's a 900 1000 and 2 1050's none of the batteries are charging.
I thought it might be the fields or brushes in the starter but also heard that it may be the voltage regulator also , all of them are wired correctly but dont charge the ammeter is always on negative. I would hate to spend the money on rebuilding the starters if the problem is just in the voltage regulators. any sugestions ?
- Brian

·
Registered
652 Posts
You should be able to check them easily. I'm not familiar with your tractor, but there are basically two (common) circuits for generator fields.

One circuit type, to bypass the regulator and cause the generator to "output" you would GROUND the field

The other circuit type, you would connect the field to battery.

Also, your cutout relay (in the regulator) opens the connection between the battery and the armature connection of the generator--which is the output. If the cutout relay goes bad, it won't charge. You can check THAT by jumpering between the B and A (or G) conntections of the regulator with the engine running at speed.

PLEASE check your manual or other sources for the correct procedure with your tractor--once again, I'm not familiar with the type you have.

I recently posted a home-made fix for the bad cutout in my newly acquired Cub Cadet, something that isn't for everybody

In my case the voltage regulator (relay section) was trying to make the thing charge, but the cuout (relay) was not allowing current through to the battery

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?p=710612#post710612

·
Registered
652 Posts
Check out the Delco Remy Regulator Service Manual in the reference library
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=757
Thanks, I looked for that here and could not find it. Go to page 40. With the engine running at "medium" speed hook a clip lead from the F terminal to ground. IF the system starts charging, you have a regulator problem

If not, leave that lead connected, and hook an additional lead from "G" (A) to "B"

If it starts charging you have a regulator problem.

If not it's probably in the generator

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, thanks guys i'll have to try it out when I get time ,have to finish my 1050 restoration project first.
_Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts