My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
dab18351
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rebuilt the SG and The Starter does work because i bench tested it...But i hooked it back up to my tractor and i can't get it to turn over. With the ignition switch off and battery hooked up, when i put a lighted tester on the A and F terminal of the starter it lights up and there is power to both terminals..I don't think that is suppose to be like that???? :banghead3

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've had some problems with my starter/generator. When you hooked it back up to the tractor does the s/g pulley turn the belt or does the starter/generator pulley not turn at all.

Sorry I'm not of much help.
Nick

·
dab18351
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had some problems with my starter/generator. When you hooked it back up to the tractor does the s/g pulley turn the belt or does the starter/generator pulley not turn at all.

Sorry I'm not of much help.
Nick
It does not turn at all. I even get power when i touch the SG housing bolts..I am gettting power to my headlight switch which runs off the regulator...so basicslly with the ignition off i am getting power to the A and F terminals and the housing bolts and to all terminals on the regulator???? :crybaby:

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
If you get the wires on the generator backwards it will do that.
:ditto:

also might be your battery. it will turn the s/g fine, but when you put it under a load like turning over the engine, its not up to it. make sure your battery is fully charged or use a booster pack

·
dab18351
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:ditto:

also might be your battery. it will turn the s/g fine, but when you put it under a load like turning over the engine, its not up to it. make sure your battery is fully charged or use a booster pack
There is no load as there is no belts hooked to it and i bench tested it before i put it back in....and i also used a diff battery from another tractor i had..Thanks

·
dab18351
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
*Update* I think i may have found the problem....My ground cable from battery was not grounding right for some reason and i attached a heavy duty wire and it worked without all the wires hooked up but when i wired it according to the wiring diagram the battery started to spark when i tried to hook the positive to it so something is really wrong, maybe regulater maybe switch???? not sure....

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If it was not sparking before why would it now ? You didn't have the key or light switch on while you were hooking up the battery ?

Maybe the points in the reg. are stuck ? I'm not sure that would even do it.

·
dab18351
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it was not sparking before why would it now ? You didn't have the key or light switch on while you were hooking up the battery ?

Maybe the points in the reg. are stuck ? I'm not sure that would even do it.
When i got it the wiring was all messed up..was no lite switch, had a kill switch to turn off engine and i don't even think it was even connected to the regulater

·
dab18351
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it is not the regulator cause i bought a new one and still does the same thing with shorting the battery so my last hope is the ignition switch that i will have to get...Anyone have one???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts