My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after straightening out my battery issues, a few days later my plastic starter pinion gear stripped out. Starter itself seems fine. Can I swap in a new pinion or am I looking at a new starter? Looks like the pinion slowly wore away from the top down over time until there wasn't enough gear left to contact the flywheel teeth.

Also, I can't seem to find the parts on the toro and other parts websites......

Thanks!

1985 WH 211-5, 11 hp Briggs

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
That is so weird my fiancée and I just stopped it at Tractor Supply Co. today and I was debating whether or not I should just get a pinion gear to be on the safe side.

I think RR is right their about $8.00 and they had 5 on the peg, should be easy to find.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Well, after straightening out my battery issues, a few days later my plastic starter pinion gear stripped out. Starter itself seems fine. Can I swap in a new pinion or am I looking at a new starter? Looks like the pinion slowly wore away from the top down over time until there wasn't enough gear left to contact the flywheel teeth.

Thanks!

Check out this page
http://tewarehouse.com/Catalog/0515?range=41,56,56

·
from South Jersey
601 Posts

The starter gear is an engine part so you need to look under Briggs & Stratton, not Toro or Wheel Horse. You'll need all the numbers off your engine to make sure you get the right one unless one size fits all. I don't own a Briggs engine so I'm not too sure.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
If I'm not mistaken Briggs only has one plastic starter pinion for most of their electric start engines ?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think they are all the same to. I can get them for about $3.
Kyle

·
Registered
316 Posts
Where did you see them that cheap ?
The local auto parts store has them. Also I was at a Flea market bought a hand full they were 2 for $5. So I am set for a while lol.
Kyle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts