My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of an improved way to use a 1 1/8" socket on an L model starter clutch, and here's my driveway mechanic solution, made from an old corner bracket. I've removed 2 clutches with it and it seems to work good. :)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe it's a fat 16th. It's not a really tight fit, but not real loose either, I just lucked out putting my hands on that bracket. :)

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
That's using the ole noggin Phil!

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
That's just as slick as a whistle. I'll have to try out the Lang Clutch Tool for myself. :fing32:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL, I'm famous. :)

·
Gravely 2-wheeler
920 Posts
Great idea. Did you still need to block the crankshaft from turning if you used an impact wrench?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great idea. Did you still need to block the crankshaft from turning if you used an impact wrench?
No, that's the main attraction of the impact wrench IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
What a Time and Materials saver.

No more removing the head which means one no longer runs the risk of snapping a head bolt. In addition you save on the cost of a head gasket and potential replacement of head bolts.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What a Time and Materials saver.

No more removing the head which means one no longer runs the risk of snapping a head bolt. In addition you save on the cost of a head gasket and potential replacement of head bolts.
I just run some rope down the plug hole when I need to take a clutch off without an impact wrench.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm feeling guilty that my little bent piece of hardware is taking up prime real estate as a sticky at the top of the page. Can a Mod take the important posts and add them to the existing L Model starter clutch removal thread in the stickies section? Then my thread can be deleted. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts