My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started the rebuild today so I thought it would be cool to do a thread documenting the tear down, refinishing and rebuild as I went along. I always like looking at other peoples work, I think aardvarks, Neils and ckill1's tractors are really nice and use them for inspiration and hope mine comes out half as good as theirs. I hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoy looking at you guys' work.
I made a thread introducing myself that also has a little history about myself and the tractor, here it is:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=143516
My dad and I went to my uncles to pick up he tractor, the lever that moves the tractor from forward to neutral to reverse is frozen so we couldn't put it into neutral so we had to put it up onto a few dollies to get it in the trailer.
I snapped a pic of the tag with the numbers that were on the lower left of the grille, can some give me more info on the tractor from these numbers like year (maybe 1967 from the number) or anything else?

Here it is as we got her home

Rolled out on dollies as the wheels were frozen

As you could see in the intro thread that she had been sitting outside for MANY years so the mice had eaten away at the seat cushion so when I lifted the seat it basically fell apart and the underseat storage was filled with all the mice's nesting material

Under the hood and inside the fuel tank it was completely dry so it had some surface rust inside. i will be adding an inline fuel filter to protect even though I plan on cleaning out the tank well before firing up the 12 HP Kohler

I have seen a few other and they didn't have the headlights but this one does

Took the hood off and started disassembling the front grille and headlamp assembly

Some of the removed parts set aside. I am labeling all the large parts and putting the relating nuts, bolts and screws in freezer bags and labeling them as to what they are and where they go

This lever is the one that is seized up preventing me from shifting into nuetral, I have been soaking it all day in penetrant

This is as I left it today. I am really enjoying the work so far.
I spoke to the next door neighbor who, as I said in my intro thread, may have had the push blade and snow thrower. He does not have them but did say that he and his dad have rebuilt a few Kohler engines and told me where to get rebuild kits and a local place for the starter/generator.
As I go along I will update the thread. if anyone has any advice or comments I would greatly appreciate them. I am new to this and this is my first tractor rebuild so any advice would appreciated.

·
MTF Member
156 Posts
Looks like you've got your work cut out for you...enjoy!

Your tractor is a 1968 12hp hydro.

The long lever is for forward, neutral and reverse while running, but not for pushing. The shorter shaft where you removed the knob is for free wheeling...is that seized also?

It'll be interesting to follow your progress - keep us informed and good luck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
8/15/10
Now that I know the engine will run and there is no rod knock(http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?p=1327689#post1327689)
I continued with the disassembly today.
Dropped the front suspension which isn't overly complicated

Removed the 12HP Kohler, removed the Carter carb from the engine along with the mechanical fuel pump, covered both holes and gave the whole machine a healthy dose of degreaser. It had 40 years of grease and oil on it as my Pepe was a stickler for maintenence.
Carb which I will be ordering a rebuild kit for this week

I was able to stand it up to get the underside of the frame

I am having so much fun with this for a few reasons, the problem solving as to trying to get it running and I am sure there will be alot more of that because every electrical component on it is completely rusted, imaginaning how nice it will come out and thinking of the smile on my mom and uncles face when they see it done.
I can hardly wait to get back to work on it next thursday, but of course I have to work. **** Job!!!!

·
MTF senior member
203 Posts
That will look real nice once your done. Are you gonna take it down to bare metal? Harbor Freight sells some decent sandblasters pretty cheap,Im using one of them on my Jake right now.Your lucky that the Jacobsen your restoring is that of a later date,mines a 1962 and its nearly imposible to find parts for it.I've noticed around alot of places like ebay and craigslist that parts for the later jakes are much easier to come by,If you do need any parts I know a few people around the area and I can post some links and send you there info.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be taking it down to bare metal and I do have a sand blaster. I was going to do a non stock color just to be different but my dad talked me into keeping it orange and white.
I started another thread as I am looking for parts although I would prefer to buy new. I am loking for the electrical components behind the "dash" and the throttle and choke cables. Just noticed your in mass. Where abouts? I am in methuen although am working on the jake at my dads in Londonderry, Nh

·
MTF senior member
203 Posts
Hey Jay,Im in Palmer in Hampdon county.I have a regulator and a solinoid for a later Jake,there used im not sure I want to part with them just yet,heres a link from craigslist http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/grd/1900597022.html I guess this guy has a bunch of new old stock and used jacobsen and ford tractor parts,he had some parts for my Jacobsen,he is in saugreties Ny about an hour and a half from my house,probably double that for you.Kind of far to go for tractor parts.You can see my tractor in my avitar photo and in some albums on my profile when I started restoring it (I already have the hood sand blasted)I decided I wanted to clean my garage and do so the tractor project is on hold fo now my fathers a carpenter and we have been sifting through 30+ years of extra building materials and old paint and junk for the last 3 weekends!Nothing but cludder,so much you can't even see the floor. I like the original Jacobsen colors they look good espechially on a resto project classic and simple just like they rolled off the essembly line.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
8/16/10
Cleaned the carb and fuel pump in the parts washer today. I will order the carb rebuild kit at the end of the week and rebuild it so it will be ready to install. I am also looking for a rebuild kit for the fuel pump.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
8/19/2010
I finished the disassembly today removing the wiring from the dash. I drew a diagram of the whole harness so I know how everything hooks up. I also removed the dash from the frame as well as the rear end and a few other components
Labeled all the wiring in the dash

Removed the whole harness as one to keep it together until I get a new starter solonoind, voltage regulator, light switch and key ignition

I had to be very careful to remove the dash plate so I wouldn't bend it. I have been trying to think of how I am going to refinish that... any ideas?

Removed the hydrostatic drive from the rear of the frame

Here is the frame

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
8/20/2010
Started sandblasting today. It took a whole 50lb bag of sanding media to do the frame. It took a few adjustments to get things dialed in then once I thought I was done it seemed I kept finding little spots that I could get a little better

Once I got done the whole frame I primed it. It took a few coats as I had to hit it from a few different angles

·
MTF senior member
203 Posts
Did you get the rear end free,I remember in one of your other posts you said the levers were siezed?I dont know how you would refinish the dash plate I would get the opinion of an auto body technicion.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yes the lever was seized so I have been soaking it in penetrant. I got it apart and will just clean it up and install a new spring in the bottom and I think that will do it. I have a few ideas for the dash plate. I thought about sanding it down, painting it silver and then have a vinyl stencil made that would have the cutouts of all the black words, laying it over the now silver dash and sparying it black, then when I removed the stencil it would have the result I was looking for.

·
John Deere 316 Onan
868 Posts
I'm 99% sure that dash plate was screen printed. I know you know how to get ahold of me Jay but I think we can reproduce that.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm 99% sure that dash plate was screen printed. I know you know how to get ahold of me Jay but I think we can reproduce that.
So you think that idea would work? I would nned to send you the dash plate for you to measure and stuff- correct?

·
John Deere 316 Onan
868 Posts
Yes, a large box and a LOT of bubble wrap would be best.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
8/21/2010

I set up the front "I" beam getting it ready to be sandblasted.

Once I was all done I put 2 coats of primer on it

My intention is to get the frame, rear hydro unit and front "I" beam along with the wheels all sandblasted, primed and painted to get it to be a rolling chassis.

My next issue I need some ideas on is how to repair the seat/ storage unit. As you can see it has some heavy rust. I do have access to a welder but my skills are non existent. I dont want my first welding experience to be on this where there only is one chance. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
aardvark161- when you painted your grille and dash did you use a special paint or primer due to it bing aluminum?

1 - 20 of 121 Posts