My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was helping my freind clear some land in the back of his house. Everything was going good until I filled up with his gas. I started it up and it died a few seconds later so I figured it was bad gas. I drained it and put new gas in and it was doing the same thing. It would not stay running and as soon as I gave it any throttle it died immeadiatley. I thought something might be stuck in the carb so I took it apart friday night and nothing was in there. I reset all the screws on the carb and turned them out 1 and a half turns. I put it back on and tried it. It started but smoked like crazy for some reason. When it cleared up it was running pretty good and I was able to give it throttle. Today I got the plow on and It was running good until I filled up with my friends gas again and it started surging again :banghead3. I was messing with the carb and the governor for a while before I just brought it home. I'm going to mess with it some more tomorrow but can I get some ideas on what the **** is wrong with this thing? I really can't get it to run right and I've been banging my head all day about it.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If it was fine before then it should of still been fine after filling with gas. I would not use anymore of his gas. Now it's hard to say what the problem is after messing with it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not an air leak because it was running strong and I shut it down to put more gas in it. It was off for about 3 minutes before I started it and it just died a couple seconds later.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Like most problems, solving this one needs to be a systematic process. Eliminate each possibility one at a time. Whatever is left, however unlikely, is bound to be the problem.

You said you had NEW gas today, maybe that eliminates this possibility.

Have you changed or checked the fuel filter?

Is there "dirt" in the tank or in the gas cans?

when you "cleaned" the carb, did you remove it from the engine? Did you use "new" gaskets for the bowl or mount to engine?

Did you check the fuel pump for proper "flow"?

Spray the carb and mounting flanges with carb cleaner (even WD-40 if you don't have carb cleaner). If the engine surges when it is sprayed, it may be an air leak.

Does the air filter need to be changed?

Often when an engine surges, it can be traced back to the carb. Usually it is a fuel issue (dirt in fuel or carb) or an air leak (throttle shaft worn, gasket not sealing, mounting cracked or warped).

Let us know what checks out and what you find, and we can offer productive advice.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took off the fuel filter and cleaned it the best I could. There doesn't seem to be any blockages in it. My freind uses gas from the same tank in his tractor and it runs fine so the gas tank is clean. As far as the tractor gas tank itself, I have not cleaned it out so that might need to be done. I did remove the carb from the engine when I cleaned it and completley disassembled it. I didn't use new gaskets but the issue started before I even took the carb apart. I did check the fuel pump by turning it over when the bowl was off (not the best way i know) but it is working. The air filter does look a little dirty, how would I know when it needs to be changed?

·
Registered
870 Posts
It sounds like you have eliminated the gas as the the problem (as you stated earlier)

The air filter also probably isn't the issue, but I'd probably get one next spring (or sooner) if it looks like it may need it.

Next in trouble shooting, with the tractor running, I'd spray around the sealing gasket, the throttle shaft, and choke shafts with carb cleaner. If the engine "surges" then the extra 'fuel" is getting in somewhere. This means it probably has an air leak. (new gaskets maybe) try this more than once after you have moved the choke cables and throttle cables and allowed the engine to "stabilize" again. Sometimes it will seal sometimes, but not always around the choke or throttle shaft.

If it doesn't surge, then it probably isn't an air leak. It may be dirt in the carb (I know you said you have cleaned it, but we do have to consider all choices.)

I guess it also might be an inconsistent problem with the governor, but I think that is unlikely, unless you have loosened and changed those settings recently.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did take the top part of the governor arm off so I could get the little bar that connects to the throttle off. I messed with it a little yesterday, can you tell me how to adjust it back to stock settings?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Ralph

I don't have an intimate knowledge of Tecumseh motors myself. I have attempted to adjust the governor on my GT-18 after I got the carb back from carb rescue. I fooled with it for awhile, following directions for the Tecumseh 8-18 hp cast iron manual on pp16-18.

You can get a copy here http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=53871

There is also some GENERAL advice (not specifically for Tecumsehs on this web page... http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/carbfuel.htm

The only other advice I was given for both carb and governor adjustments was to keep the changes SMALL. A small change seems to make a big difference for these Tecumseh engines.

I hope it helps. I'm sure some one else will chime in. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually have the tecumseh 8-18 cast iron engine manual, forgot I had it. I will take a look at it tomorrow. If the governor isn't the problem, then it might be the one thing I haven't checked yet. There could be some debris clogging the filter in the gas tank.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I have messed with govenor linkages on briggs by applying full throttle engine off adjust governor arm counter clockwise till it stops then tighten. Try you tube if knowbody else chimes in.Best advice I can give is when dismantling take pics so it helps getting it back together, I have a cam on my phone it has saved me many times! Good luck GS.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
You mentioned something I hadn't thunk about!! If there's a screen filter in your tank and tank has "stuff" in it---pouring gas in could dislodge said trash,hince fuel flow problem.You might want to ck.(I'd remove it) that screen.I like an inline filter myself.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,948 Posts
What kind of fuel filter are we talking about here? One of the replaceable in-line fuel filters? Even if it SEEMS clear, they are NOT a big ticket item, worth changing out to eliminate that as a possible problem. If it were your OWN tractor, I'd also recommend cleaning fuel tank, checking/changing fuel shutoff valve, changing out fuel lines, treating the fuel and carburetor with Seafoam.... 9 times out of 10, when problems like this develop suddenly, its a fuel delivery problem. However, now that the governor settings have been changed on the engine, its going to be hard to tell what's going on... NONE of the above are going to be big ticket items in terms of cost, nor are they beyond your skillset to accomplish, they just take time and effort... You may want to talk to your friend about doing this together...

·
Sears/Craftsman Owner
803 Posts
I think you are on the right track on the fuel issue.You should definately pull the tank and check the strainer on it.How old is the fuel line?You know the ethenol in the gas eats the fuel lines.I've noticed little black pieces of debis in my fuel filter before changing the fuel line.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dirt dog, I was just out messing with it and there was a bunch of little red particles settled right below the fuel pump in the line. I pulled the line and cleared it and also changed my fuel filter because the old one was pretty much shot. I fired it up and it was still surging so the next step is to pull the tank. I will let you guys know how I make out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If it's still giving you trouble Ralph, one thing you might check is the vent on the pulse pump. The pump hangs on the fuel line close to the carb. On the side of the pump is a sintered-metal "mesh" vent hole abots 5/16 or so dia. Make sure it's clean.
Hope you've got it running ok by now.
Mark.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts