My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am completely befuddled on this one. I powerwashed my ST-16 (Tecumseh engine) that I recently became a proud owner of to clear all the grease and clippings from it and now it will not even turn over. The solenoid will not even click. Engine was up and running
before the powerwashing. Troubleshooting I have done:

Checked for any any loose cables or wires.

Battery volts will drop from 12.90 to around 12.82 when I turn the key

All battery cables are tight and clean - no corrosion

Flywheel turns - engine is loose.

I did spend time powerwashing the console compartment where the solenoid, rectifier, ignition switch and main wiring is located and am wondering if powerwashing somehow fried the solenoid but no outer physical damage occurred to it.

Any ideas?

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
bypass the switch, and touch the two post on the solenoid. If this does'nt work, then there has to a bad connection somewhere.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I would say it's a water problem.....
Check and dry your fuses (pull them and dry everything)
If you have compressed air use it to blow out all water, if not just let it sit in the sun and totally dry out.
I would avoid the powerwash in the future but thats just me. Water and electrical and bearings don't go together.

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
I pressure wash anything that comes into the shop, if the costumer asks for it, and never had a problem starting them afterwards. If water got into the switch, it could cause this problem.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
If you have compressed air use it to blow out all water, if not just let it sit in the sun and totally dry out.
I would avoid the powerwash in the future but thats just me. Water and electrical and bearings don't go together.
:ditto::ditto::ditto:

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
just have some water in the various connections of the ignition system. no big deal. let it dry overnight, crank it tomorrow and see what happens

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
If you don't have compressed air, use a leaf blower. I hit my mower with the leaf blower every time I use it. It does great at getting the clippings out from under the belt guard and around the pulleys. I power wash every tractor I get and have not had any issues. Leave it out in the sun and I bet it will fire up later. Ed

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
You could also try a hair dryer. :fing32:

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,266 Posts
updates?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Ok, first off thank you one and all for the suggestions. Here is what I've done.

1. I fired up my 110,000 btu heater and got things nice and warm. Everything was warm to the touch to hopefully take away the possible moisture problem.

2. I took a battery cable off another lawnmower and touched the 2 solenoid posts. It turned over immediately.

Soooooo, there is no power getting from key to solenoid right? I will have to start looking at wiring but both neutral and pto safety switch test at .000 disengaged and 1. engaged. Ok thought, if I jump the "S" and "B" terminals at the ignition switch connector, that should fire up the solenoid and then that would tell me if the ignition switch is bad I"m assuming. Let me know what you would do next. Thanks again, Todd.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Seat and/or brake switches? Wires knocked loose from the pressure blast?

Do you have 12v at the B terminal, to begin with. If no 12v, jumping the terminals won't work.

Have you tried jumping 12v to the small terminal on the solenoid? That would test the solenoid itself.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FIXED! ST-16 won't turn over after powerwashing

I started testing continuity on cables and even pulled the ignition switch out and tested that - still no power to solenoid. I decided to make sure both safety switches were indeed working. I bypassed the PTO switch with a harness and it turned over. Looks like when I powerwashed it, clumps of grass got wedged between the pto shaft pivot and the contact. I did test it and thought I got continuity when the shaft was disengaged but must have done something wrong.

Anyways, I got the ST-16, 1 bottom plow, cultivator, disc harrow, snow blade and custom made front weight bracket for $100. Their is no paint left on any of the equipment but for my use and budget it works for me just fine. My winter projects for it are replacing the brake lining (PITA :crybaby:), figuring out why their is no charge coming from the stator, and refabricating the 3 point lift handle as it brushes the seat when raising the implements up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pictures?....there's more rust than paint on the stuff. :fing20: I'll see what I can snap tomorrow. Maybe if I can get it in just the right sunlight all the brown steel will look orange. :sidelaugh

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pictures?....there's more rust than paint on the stuff. :fing20: I'll see what I can snap tomorrow. Maybe if I can get it in just the right sunlight all the brown steel will look orange. :sidelaugh

1 - 17 of 17 Posts