My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be pressure inside my transaxle. I took off the cap to the filler elbow and oil under pressure came shooting out. Is there some sort of vent hole in these transaxles to release the pressure?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Yeah there is a little spring type, vent pin. It opens as needed but it might be stuck ? Stand looking at the back of tractor, it's on the right side of the trans, close to the top. It's not easy to get at. Maybe you can reach up under the tractor to feel it ? See if you can grab it, pull it out a little. It pops back in by itself.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Yeah there is a little spring type, vent pin. It opens as needed but it might be stuck ? Stand looking at the back of tractor, it's on the right side of the trans, close to the top. It's not easy to get at. Maybe you can reach up under the tractor to feel it ? See if you can grab it, pull it out a little. It pops back in by itself.
I have a trans out- i will try to get a picture of it out

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Small Fry, I have dropped the hitch plate down about two inches and can see the top of the trans, but cannot find the vent you told me of. Is it closer to the front or rear and is it on top of the trans? A picture of yours would be great if you can post one. Thanks John

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Small Fry, I have dropped the hitch plate down about two inches and can see the top of the trans, but cannot find the vent you told me of. Is it closer to the front or rear and is it on top of the trans? A picture of yours would be great if you can post one. Thanks John
i will post one in a little while. it's barely noticeable.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
the shifters arent "sealed" not sure why the vent would be necessary?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
the shifters arent "sealed" not sure why the vent would be necessary?
If I remember right the shifter does have a rubber boot like seal. It must seal it enough they felt the trans needed a vent.

I know that boot/seal can get ripped over time, then water can get in and pressure out.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
0823102203.jpg

Doh! Small Fry beat me to the punch...

They definately must have some seal on them, cause when i was filling my GT18 rear end it was burping out back at me istead of venting. (I had NOT pulled out my vent)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so much for the information and picture. I found it and it was stuck like you said. I cleaned it up and seems to be working correctly now. John

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
Do all the sears 6 speed high/low trans have one ?

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
SHD, Dunno, but i know all the older ones do. You could look and let us know :)

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
My 1989 gt/mower does

1 - 13 of 13 Posts