My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks: looking for help on my tractor. I use it for plowing my driveway and it began running rough last year. I use Stabil in my gas mixed to order.
It runs rough in that it doesn't have much power and is constantly raising and lowering it's rpm via the lever that probably adjusts air intake.
My air cleaner is clean. I put in a new spark plug J8C gapped at .030 and there is no change.
Any ideas?
I restore 55-57 chevies as a hobby but have little knowledge of small engines.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
870 Posts
c57

I am no expert, but I would start by checking out the carb & fuel system.

Does it run "better" with the choke partially closed?

If you remove the carburetor "bowl" , is the bowl clean, or does it appear to have film or dirt in the bottom?

Does it currently have a fuel filter? Has it been changed recently?

Does it have a fuel pump?

my "wild a** guess" is that the carb needs to be cleaned. Even with using a fuel preservative, the newer (and "improved") ethanol fuel blends seem to clog carbs if the fuel is allowed to sit at all.

Check it out and let us know what you find. Your answers will help us to direct your efforts.

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
im guessing dirt somewhere...uve got an air passage blocked off somewhere....it could have started crudding up before the stabil was used...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the quick replies.
It runs a tad better with the choke "worked." Not good enough to plow snow but I can run it up and down the driveway.

Fuel filter? Is there one in a stock configuration? This thing is original as it sits.
How do I go about cleaning the fuel system?
I guess I'll need a gasket kit?
New J8C spark plug.
Should I run Lucas fuel system cleaner or something that easy?

I have the owners manual #4978R.2.7.73

·
Registered
378 Posts
Make sure your cap is venting, loosen your gas cap and see if it smooth out. Easy check. Mine wasnt venting and causing me grief.

·
Registered
870 Posts
c57

There are a lot of possible reasons here for the rough running. Like on a car, it is likely you'll need to do some process of elimination to find the culprit.

I would start with "jiveturkey" s suggestion and check the gas cap venting. To do this loosen the cap and see if improves the running. If it does, then the cap vent is plugged. If not then your problem is somewhere else.

The vacuum leaks can be checked by spraying the carb and mounting area with wd-40 or another carb or lubricant spray. Do this slowly and if the running improves when you spray an area, you probably have a vacuum leak near buy. This could be gaskets or a worn throttle shaft or another problem.

If these "tests" don't seem to improve things, then my money is on dirt in the carb some where. To fix this there are a couple of solutions.

Solution "A" is the "easier" method. It would be to remove the carburetor from the tractor and send it to http://www.carbrescue.com/intro.php Mark is the person who does the work and I can say my experience was very positive.

Solution "B" is if you feel somewhat handy. Youl will need to remove the carb from the tractor. Remove the fuel bowl, float and needle AND THE RUBBER GASKET(S) and then soak it in a can of "carb dip"
The label says to soak for about 30 min, but I usually let it sit overnight.

After the carb comes back out, wearing goggles, use a can of spray carb cleaner and try to hose out all of the passageways you can get to. Re assemble with the float and gaskets (I just use the old one if it is still OK)
and try to run it and re tune.

It isn't really all that hard. I am somewhat handy and have done both. Sometimes after I have cleaned it, it still wasn't good enough so I sent it out.

Here is a page that shows some images.

http://clintongas.18.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=266&st=0&#entry934

He goes further than I do (removing the "pin" sealed in by the tiny plugs) , but it shows the basics

Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:banghead3 Time to fess up.

When I took a look at the carb, I touched the air filter and it moved a bit.

??

Turns out that the carb was simply loose and the two nuts had backed off a small amount. Guess vibration had done it's thing over the years.

All fixes should be this simple!
Just in time too as 3-5 inches of snow is expected Monday.

Thanks to all who took the time to help me. :thanku: :trink39:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.