My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a transaxle out of an ss16 I want to use to make a small dump truck (guy gave it to me for free dont know what happened to tractor). Anyway I hope to find out the gear ratio's should be a hi/lo 3 speed right? Does anyone know the gear ratio's?

Thanks

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
what do you mean the ratios? like 22;1 or like 3rd high is 6.5mph? cause I know the tractors are labeled for speed so someone can copy that off their tractor...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking for specs on the transmission. For example 1.8/1 1st gear, 2nd gear 1.4/1 Etc. I am trying to see if it is compatible with another transaxle I have in hopes of running a tandem.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Not sure about the gear ratio,but in hi range and 3rd.gear--she'll shoot around the yard at quite a clip.What were your plans for a dump,around the yard or something else?If in your yard--I'd say it'll do a fine job,plus you still got lower gears for pulling.:trink40:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The plan I hope to pull of is to make a small around the yard dump truck with parts i have. I was hoping the sears transaxle might be the same ratio as another transaxle I have so I can run two tranaxles out back to make it 4wheel drive for plowing and hauling in the woods.

·
SEARS TRACTOR COLLECTAH
1,390 Posts
Here's the ratios:

High Range: 1st- 2.1, 2nd- 3.9, 3rd- 5.5, Rev- 2.5 (to 1)

Low Range: 1st- .80, 2nd- 1.6, 3rd- 2.7, Rev- 1.0 (to 1)

These ratios were used on all the Suburbans.
- Brad

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Those aren't ratios, those are speeds.
A lot of manufacturers used similar gear ratios, but I'm not sure of one that was exactly the same as the Sears.
An easy way to get driven dual axles is to run sprockets inboard of the tires, and build an idler axle with the same size sprockets and tires, then just loop a chain around it.
A more complex version would be two idler axles, the transaxle in between them, all with sprockets, and chains. This way you could also use a smaller or larger sprocket on the transaxle to increase or decrease your speed.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Mike, By looking at your avatar, I have an idea. Take some notes from this guys build. It might be what you are looking for for the drive. http://www.xcat.ch/ Can't read much, but at least the pics are informative.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Long before the internet if we wanted to know the ratio we would simply mark the input shaft and wheel shaft with a chalk line parallel to the shaft, provide a pointer to line up to with the outer surface of the respective shafts. Tape, c-clamp or magnets can be used for the stationary pointer. Turn and count rotations of both shafts. The more turns the better (more accurate) the resulting ratio as calculated by dividing the (output number of turns) / (input number of turns) for each gear change. On a true differential hold one side (axle) from turning while collecting the numbers.

Tends to be a little easier with two people, each keeping track of just one shaft. Besides with two there is someone else to blame if you loose track of the count. lol

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4 Suburbans that is way too simple... I think I can definitely handle that..Thanks.. Seems a MTF guy KBeitz has built a nice small dump truck using a transaxle and swing arm that is similar to the old Scammell design. Look here:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=194730&highlight=dump+trucke

Thanks for the link Mrolds88..That thing is Nice!!

I think the sears transaxle would hold up to driving 4 wheels i mean guys use them to pull right?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks Dmorrill... . Funny my mothers maiden name is Morrill she is from the small town of Danville VT and her mother still lives there on the dairy farm land they grew up on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts