My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
That there's worth fixin'
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well she runs. Cleaned the mouse nest/graveyard/toilet out beneath the shrouds. Carb was pretty clean. Made the mistake of flipping the gasket upside down so no gas could get to the carb. :banghead3: Hotwired the coil, the points were corroded so I just filed them, set up a gravity feed temp fuel tank (thanks Small Fry!) and off she went. Today I have to straighten out the hacked wiring and install a solenoid. The plastic dash is way lame. I lightly bungeed a small gas tank to it and it shattered still more.

Never having run an Onan, I can't really tell by the sound wether it's running perfect or not. There does seem to be a slight stagger to it. Powers up without hesitation and idles down very nicely but seems like it could be smoother.

Couple quick questions:
What should the point gap be?
Official Procedure for adjusting carb?

Thanks for all your help!, Rick

·
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked both cyls. Has a cool rumbly sound to it. Governor works nice, very responsive to small load increases. I put the front blade on and gave it a workout. Has good power. All back together now and getting gas from it's own tank. Fixed the wiring yesterday, ammeter works and battery is getting charged. I think this one is 3 point worthy, gonna rob one from another tractor. Can't believe I was ambivalent about this one, Now I love the thing, Maybe put one of those Harbor Freight generators on it?

·
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you will love it! Hopefully your fuel pump lasts. I have been tinkering on the ones on my 16's lately. Seems if the sit with bad gas in the for a while, then are run a lot they will wear out fast. My GT`18 was always run, never sat for more than a couple weeks, and the fuel pump diaphragm in it went only last winter because my brother had the tractor for two years and he didn't run it enough so the rubber dried out and got a hole in it.
Yea the spring for the plunger had turned to rust . I used one I had from a Briggs carb kit I had. It wasnt the same but it's working. I hear the new ethanol gas will dry the rubber out quick. I used to use some MMO in all my small engines gas but got tired of buying it. Sometimes I put a little 2 cycle oil in thinking it will help for that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.