My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
That there's worth fixin'
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well she runs. Cleaned the mouse nest/graveyard/toilet out beneath the shrouds. Carb was pretty clean. Made the mistake of flipping the gasket upside down so no gas could get to the carb. :banghead3: Hotwired the coil, the points were corroded so I just filed them, set up a gravity feed temp fuel tank (thanks Small Fry!) and off she went. Today I have to straighten out the hacked wiring and install a solenoid. The plastic dash is way lame. I lightly bungeed a small gas tank to it and it shattered still more.

Never having run an Onan, I can't really tell by the sound wether it's running perfect or not. There does seem to be a slight stagger to it. Powers up without hesitation and idles down very nicely but seems like it could be smoother.

Couple quick questions:
What should the point gap be?
Official Procedure for adjusting carb?

Thanks for all your help!, Rick

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Well least it runs !

Points are .025 gap cold

Carb main 1 turn out

Idle is 5/8 out

Then tune like any other carb from there.

These are ment to idle at 1200 rpms.

You can use a dash off the older tractors that were fiberglass or aluminum. (more like your SS15)

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
You may want to ck to see if both cyl.are firing--they can run on one with no sweat.If you've never heard one--you wouldn't believe it.And with that type muffler you can't just stick your hand out to "feel" it.:trink40:

·
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked both cyls. Has a cool rumbly sound to it. Governor works nice, very responsive to small load increases. I put the front blade on and gave it a workout. Has good power. All back together now and getting gas from it's own tank. Fixed the wiring yesterday, ammeter works and battery is getting charged. I think this one is 3 point worthy, gonna rob one from another tractor. Can't believe I was ambivalent about this one, Now I love the thing, Maybe put one of those Harbor Freight generators on it?

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
you will love it! Hopefully your fuel pump lasts. I have been tinkering on the ones on my 16's lately. Seems if the sit with bad gas in the for a while, then are run a lot they will wear out fast. My GT`18 was always run, never sat for more than a couple weeks, and the fuel pump diaphragm in it went only last winter because my brother had the tractor for two years and he didn't run it enough so the rubber dried out and got a hole in it.

·
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you will love it! Hopefully your fuel pump lasts. I have been tinkering on the ones on my 16's lately. Seems if the sit with bad gas in the for a while, then are run a lot they will wear out fast. My GT`18 was always run, never sat for more than a couple weeks, and the fuel pump diaphragm in it went only last winter because my brother had the tractor for two years and he didn't run it enough so the rubber dried out and got a hole in it.
Yea the spring for the plunger had turned to rust . I used one I had from a Briggs carb kit I had. It wasnt the same but it's working. I hear the new ethanol gas will dry the rubber out quick. I used to use some MMO in all my small engines gas but got tired of buying it. Sometimes I put a little 2 cycle oil in thinking it will help for that.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
james is right. these onans are AWESOME engines. you can do most work at 1/3 throttle and it will feel effortless. the pumps and carbs are what you need to look out for, the rest of the engine is rock solid

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
james is right. these onans are AWESOME engines. you can do most work at 1/3 throttle and it will feel effortless. the pumps and carbs are what you need to look out for, the rest of the engine is rock solid
Hugh, i think we just need to do a really good cleaning on yours... Neither of my 16's were running this morning, and i spent bout 45 minutes on each, and both run like a top. The float on the 16/6 was bad, so i put in the brass spare one I had, cleaned the whole carb really well (don't really even need to remove the whole carb to do that) runs good now!! and the SS16, I cleaned it really well, and put a new vacuum line on it with clamps so no leaks in vacuum and it runs much better! I think the steel tank tractors require a little more maintenance. Might want to look into getting some
Soltron- home depot and other places sell a similar product. It is an enzyme that keeps fuel molecules from breaking down, and keeps water out and stabilizes the fuel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts