My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
5 Onan Flush
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd start a new thread since this is more tech related. Bought a SS14 yesterday and got it running. It runs good (was said to be rebuilt by sears years ago) but the throttle hunts. From idle up to full throttle it hunts and I can tell its running a little rich (blows a little black smoke at full throttle). Anyone have a manual or know what adjustments I need to make? I only found one adjustment screw when I cleaned the carb out. Carb is squeeky clean on the inside. Thanks in advance.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
check the jets. the carb may look clean, a partially blocked jet will still cause it to hunt

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
there is the adj. screw on the bottom of the bowl and one up on the carb body, left side

·
5 Onan Flush
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled the long jet that goes up from the bottom and cleaned it. I didnt see the one on the side. Thought I got them all but guess not. Still not know of a manual for this one?

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
If its a Briggs engine with an updraft Flo-Jet carb,there is supposed to be a long spring along side of the linkage that connects the throttle lever on the carb to the govenor linkage--it keeps tension on the two peices so if any "slop" in the holes exist where the link passes through,it wont let the carb throttle lever move any--if it even has a tiny bit of free play,it'll hunt up and down constantly..your might just need to tweak the carb adjustment too--too rich or lean will make it hunt too..

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
there is supposed to be a long spring along side of the linkage that connects the throttle lever on the carb to the govenor linkage--it keeps tension on the two peices so if any "slop" in the holes exist where the link passes through,it wont let the carb throttle lever move any--if it even has a tiny bit of free play,it'll hunt up and down constantly..your might just need to tweak the carb adjustment too--too rich or lean will make it hunt too..
:ditto:

·
5 Onan Flush
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, Got it running great this evening. Took the top most adjustment screw out, blew some carb cleaner in it and adjusted the carb with both needles. It's still a tiny bit rich, but doesnt smoke at all. I mean this engine burns absolutly no oil and is strong! It is now for sale (hey, its not an Onan, gotta get rid of it!)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Updraft carbs are a b^^^ i baught a new one- 150 or so dollars and still runs suckish, i hope you got better luck than me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts