My Tractor Forum banner

SS12 Spring 4301H

10K views 38 replies 7 participants last post by  Bill Kapaun 
#1 ·
I just replaced the upper spring (6486H) for the clutch/brake/Idler system on my SS12, but found that the lower spring (4301H) broke as well. Does anyone know a substitute for this spring, since SearsDirect no longer carries it?

Thanks for any advice!

#2 ·
I am not sure if I have the correct spring but here is what I have found. Keep in mind no precision measuring tools were used.

Part Number 4301H
Spring Type = Extension
Ends = Across Center (possibly extended)
Hooks = Almost at 90 degrees
Length Inside Hooks = About 6 inches
Length of Coil = Not sure
Outside Diameter = About 5/8 inches
Wire Diameter = Less than 1/8 inch but more than 1/16 inch

Have you tried Century Spring? Usually hardware stores have them in stock and you simply try to match a stock spring up. If you cannot find a matching spring I would suggest trying to contact a spring company and have them make a spring to match.

Another MTF member went to Home Depot and used a larger spring and some eye hooks. They just installed their own version their way.

#3 ·
Oh yeah, I just realized you are a new member here at MTF. Welcome aboard!!!!!!

:MTF_wel2::MTF_wel2::MTF_wel2::MTF_wel2::MTF_wel2::MTF_wel2:

:MTF_wel::MTF_wel::MTF_wel::MTF_wel::MTF_wel::MTF_wel::MTF_wel:

:thThumbsU:thThumbsU:thThumbsU:thThumbsU:thThumbsU:thThumbsU

#6 ·
I used a precision tool to take a couple of measurements just in case the part is no longer available.

Length Inside Hooks = 6 Inches
Length of Coil = 4-5/8 Inches
Width of Coil = .637 Inches
Thickness of Wire = .110 Inches
Number of Coils = 42
Hook Opening = 1/4 Inch
Hook Extension = 3/4 Inches (to outside of hook from end of coil)

Attachments

#7 ·
Thank you for the photos Plowthesidewalk...

However, it appears what you have in the photos is the spring I did just successfully replace (part #6486H). Maybe I had them in the wrong places, but I put that spring as the upper placement of the idler assembly. The spring I had in place on the lower portion of the assembly was a bit smaller (shorter), and had quite a bit more "give", or extendibility.

Andrew

#8 ·
Hmmmmm.......I had a brand new spring in a parts bag to go on a ST16 and the spring in the photo was sitting on a battery shelf with a clutch. The other new spring had a different part number and was shorter so I assumed I had the correct part. Oh well, who knows?

Can you snap some pics of the spring you have?

#9 ·
arswans,

I have the same issue with the same deck. If you find a source please let me know? I promise to do the same if I find one first.

#10 ·
Thank you AngieK.

Here is a photo of the spring in question.

I tried to order the replacement from Mowpart.com recommended by stripmine (Mowpart indicated that they had the superseding replacement part 9503H in stock)...BUT, I just got another email from them saying that they no longer have it available.:dunno:

Attachments

#11 ·
arswans,

I'm going up to Fleet Farm and Grainger on Friday or Saturday to match mine up. If I find the right springs I'll get you one :)

I see your image, it's the same one I need. Mine broke off 11 coils in from the end, so I have the whole thing to match if I find any.

#13 ·
Yes, I will need to buy 2 for myself because there is none on the mule drive either. Dad wasn't very organized it seems, after all. I had to hunt for most of the parts in his old shed until I located all but a few. But you're correct the parts breakdown shows the same spring on the mule.

#14 ·
I went to an Ace Hardware store and purchased a spring off the shelf with a matching hook on one end and it had a long straight piece of wire on the other end. I simply cut the straight end and looped it like the original and it has worked okay ever since.

#16 ·
Kbeitz, yeah you're right, arswans can maybe rebend his. Mine broke about 11 coils up from the end, and the rest is so rusty it wants to crumble to dust. I'm going to try to find some, and if I do I'll mail one to him :)

#18 ·
I think I found a spring that will work. The ends are a bit different but the wire size and OD and length are the same. I ordered 3 part# 138687 springs from Sears. When they arrive I'll let you know if they can work or not. If it works, I'll mail you one, arswans :) I'll send a PM for an address if it functions OK

PS they expected delivery to be on or about the 12th of this month :)

#21 · (Edited)
I don't have anything that fancy to work with, but I've got access to a pair of vise-grips and a bench vise

I'm wondering if smearing the new spring with grease, and then wiping it off to just leave a thin coating would prolong it's life and save it from rusting? I intend to wash the day's dirt and clipping from the deck each day when I finish using it...

#23 · (Edited)
I found that the one on the mule is missing here too.

AngieK that spring really looks the same, I hope it works. Yes, if you don't mind I'm happy to cover your expenses if you got an extra.

If not, I'll probably match the old one to something at Ace and do the bend thing that Plowthesidewalk suggested. Bench vise should be able to handle it.

#24 ·
No worries the spring was cheap at sears :) The expensive part was the stupid deck belt and the shipping. As soon as I know it will fit on the deck, I'll send you the extra one FREE :) I like being nice when I can :thThumbsU

#28 ·
I truly dislike searspartsdirect.com! :thSick:

A couple years ago I ordered a "Craftsman" chain breaker from them. What I eventually got was a cheap EMCO chain breaker (that I could have purchased locally for less than 1/2 the price and paid no shipping), and it took 2 months to arrive, even though they said on their site that it was "in stock".

Now I have given them a second chance, by ordering these springs and a belt. I just checked on my order status on these "in stock" items, and found that while my order has been recorded, "there is no word from the vendor on the status" for my order. They claimed delivery to me by the 12th... ...they now have 4 days before they are due at my door. After that I will call, demand a refund, and forget they even exist.

What a horrible way to run a business!

#32 ·
OK I was wrong. I just saw they shipped these parts to me the day I posted this. According to the UPS tracking, it will get here on time. Maybe I was too harsh. :duh:

#30 ·
Huuuuuh? Discount coupon? No I didn't know there is one....

D'Oh!

It's OK... it was worth an extra 10% to learn that they have no clue what the heck they are doing. After this I'll stick to Mowtownusa or someone. It's my own fault I got bitten by Sears twice on line. I shouldn't have given them another chance after that chain breaker incident.

I miss the day when only Sears sold Craftsman, and if you bought a Sears anything, they stood behind it until it was used up.

Now days, they seem to love the phrase "No Parts Available". Back in the day if they couldn't get it from the original manufacturer, THEY did the legwork to offer the customer a part that would fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.