My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I just picked up pretty solid SS/16 two days ago and I still need to go back and grab the front blade, mower deck and rear rake?.
I’m not 100% sure what the overall plan is but it might be a nice restoration project and serve some light duty work around the property for my wife and I.
Right now all I can tell that it needs is a carb/fuel pump rebuild, I’ve already cleaned up electrical connections and the points, lubed the cylinders and rotated the engine over by hand and then fired up the engine by trickling fuel down the carb. I’ll check the transaxle out and get everything else lubed up while I wait for the carb rebuild kit to get here.

model# 917 25884
Serial# 7092
Engine model# BF-MS 128330
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Plant Vehicle
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Nice... very stout little tractors, I just recent sold a couple similar models, a '79 GT18 and a '78 GT19.9, both with the same transaxle as your SS16... other than the oem fuel pump maybe getting weak with age they dont really have too many known quirks... you can bypass the oem pump and add a pulse pump cheap and easily if/when needed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice... very stout little tractors, I just recent sold a couple similar models, a '79 GT18 and a '78 GT19.9, both with the same transaxle as your SS16... other than the oem fuel pump maybe getting weak with age they dont really have too many known quirks... you can bypass the oem pump and add a pulse pump cheap and easily if/when needed.
Thanks Lance
How do I bypass the pulse pump and run a external one when the existing pump is also the fuel inlet ?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
you just need to remove the little flapper valve inside the existing pump so that there is no restrictions and cap off the pulse inlet, then add the new pump anywhere along the fuel line. The gas still passes thru the old fuel pump.... but you may not need to... if had several of them that still work just fine.

the reason most people bypass the pump is because the only way to rebuild the old pump is to pick up a carb kit from Cummins for about $400... where as you can pickup a pulse pump for about $25.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've used those $17 ebay carburetor kits that come with the pump and they seem to work fine. There is also one that is a little more expensive but comes with a new brass float. The only issue I've noticed is that the float needle seat threads are a bit tight, it's like the thread pitch or depth is slightly off, but you can easily fix it with a thread die.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've used those $17 ebay carburetor kits that come with the pump and they seem to work fine. There is also one that is a little more expensive but comes with a new brass float. The only issue I've noticed is that the float needle seat threads are a bit tight, it's like the thread pitch or depth is slightly off, but you can easily fix it with a thread die.
Yup, these days more of these aftermarket kits come with metric threads instead of American UTS.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We’ll….. she’s a runner :).
We got the carb and pump rebuilt and everything is working as it should, the engine runs extremely smooth and everything under the tractor is nice and tight.
And…….. We picked up another 75 SS16 that came with a mower deck
Tire Wheel Combat vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Plant
Wheel Tire Car Hood Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts