My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a genius, but I imagine that many SS restorers have been down this road: Where the heck do I find Sears part #7645H, which is the brake lining for the parking brake?

If this is an item that has a modern-day substitute, I'd sure like to know. Many thanks if someone can contribute.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Mcmaster Carr has the brake lining material in stock- buy a couple feel, rivet and epoxy it on and your golden. There are a couple threads on here on how to redo it- do a search. i have not personally redone one, but i don't think it's too hard.

·
Registered
61 Posts
GT80's right, McMaster Carr is the place to go.
Part numbers below:

6175K111 NONMETALLIC MOLDED BRAKE AND CLUTCH LINING, 3/16" THICK, 1" WIDTH, 12" LENGTH $2.66

7541A76 EPOXY ADHESIVE IN EASY-DISPENSING SYRINGE, BEGINS TO HARDEN @ 3-6 MINS, .85 OZ, LIGHT AMBER 1
EA $4.44

Clean and sand the metal band before epoxy.

I did mine and it was pretty easy and is working well.

Dave

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WolfCub, thanks for this. I've now ordered the stuff. I'm thinking that there are probably hundreds of SS owners who acquired their machines with the parking brake burned out ... or they inadvertently burned them out themselves. When I rebuild mine I'm going to see if I can add a switch to a red dash light that warns the user if the parking lever is engaged.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good idea on the warning light Gus.
Keep us posted on how the repair/ upgrade goes.

When I replaced my lining I made sure to flatten the metal strap out some, put on the epoxy, placed the lining and let it set up for about a minute before slowly bending the strap back into shape. (Reason being that the fairly thick lining may be a bit on the brittle side if bent too rapidly)

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts