My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im not getting power to the ignition and the fuse in front of the ammeter is good but the ammeter is not doing anything... I want to test it but it is really hard to reach, and it has goo? on the terminals to it so I cant put a test light on either post. What is the proper way to remove it without messing something up?

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,241 Posts
You're gonna have to get your hands dirty. IF the steering wheel comes off, you can remove the whole dash. If not, you have to either reach your hands in there or take the battery tray out, which can also be a pain. If the ammeter doesn't work, that will not kill power to the ignition. You may have a bad safety switch. On these, the clutch has to be depressed and the PTO pedal has to be off, otherwise it breaks continuity to the starter when the key is on. Do the headlights work? Do you have any power at the key or does it just not crank?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're gonna have to get your hands dirty. IF the steering wheel comes off, you can remove the whole dash. If not, you have to either reach your hands in there or take the battery tray out, which can also be a pain. If the ammeter doesn't work, that will not kill power to the ignition. You may have a bad safety switch. On these, the clutch has to be depressed and the PTO pedal has to be off, otherwise it breaks continuity to the starter when the key is on. Do the headlights work? Do you have any power at the key or does it just not crank?
Thanks for the reply....

So during my testing, the solenoid is good, if I apply 12v to the ignition lead the tractor cranks. What I don't have is 12v at the ignition connection coming from the ammeter....

That wire comes off the battery post on the solenoid, goes to a inline fuse, to the ammeter, then to ign. That should be a constant 12v & not interrupted by the safety switches.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sounds like you have narrowed down your testing path. Is it possible for you to remove the side access plate (clutchside) between the Engine and dash to get up in there?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you have narrowed down your testing path. Is it possible for you to remove the side access plate (clutchside) between the Engine and dash to get up in there?
I will have a look later, with the battery out I can get my hand on the ammeter, I can get it to spin a little but im not sure how it pops out.

·
Registered
832 Posts
If I remember right, you have to take off both nuts on the back to let out c shaped clamp that holds it in place. Should slide out.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,241 Posts
jump a wire across the ammeter to test it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts