My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a Sears SS-15 tractor with a Briggs engine. I understand it is a 1972, with a starter/generator. My mechanic tells me the coil is bad. Does anyone know where I might find a coil or other engine electrical parts? The engine turns over fine but I'm getting no fire.
Thank you for any help.
Joe

If I can't get it running my wife will never let me buy another piece of used equipment....ever.

·
Briggs powered Sears.
2,856 Posts
ok it has points condensor and magneto. i would get all 3 and have the mechanic install them. you can order parts from ANY mower repair shop becuase briggs still stocks them. i just spent over 130 dollars on my 16hp engine but i had other stuff done i think magneto points and condensor came to a total of 75 dollars. look on shroud in the front under the carb engine numbers will be something like 32xxxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxx or something like that but all numbers. these are powerful engines and are 32 cubic inch if i am not wrong they are the biggest cast iron briggs they built

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have 2 SS15s and an 8hp B&S on my 3 point tiller. All had points systems but I have converted all to electronic coils. Am not experiencing any problems with them and they all run great. I got the coils from Tulsa Engine Warehouse. Ordered off the internet. Had my engine numbers and did an on line chat with sales rep. They matched up coils with my numbers. I think they were around $20.00 each plus shipping. This eliminated the points.
Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you much. I went to the Briggs site and entered the engine model number and got the "NO results found" message. I was trying to get an operators manual and parts list. Arrrgggghhh
So I took their survey and let them know I was not pleased. I did send them an email and asked the question directly. It would be nice to get the information.
Thank you for the help. I will be super pleased if I can get this thing running and my wife will be even happier.

Joe

·
Briggs powered Sears.
2,856 Posts
Thank you much. I went to the Briggs site and entered the engine model number and got the "NO results found" message. I was trying to get an operators manual and parts list. Arrrgggghhh
So I took their survey and let them know I was not pleased. I did send them an email and asked the question directly. It would be nice to get teh information.
Thank you for the help. I will be super pleased if I can get this thing running and my wife will be even happier.

Joe
http://www.stripmine.org/sears/layout/engine.htm
look through the 32 cu inch area on stripmines list

·
15,000 +posts!
20,719 Posts
You can also use a 12V car coil with an internal ballast resistor instead of the magneto coil too....it isn't that hard to convert to one like that,but you might need assistance if your not that good at working on things...many here have done it with guidance from other members...

Basically you'd need a car coil,and wire the postive terminal to the ignition switch so it only gets power in the "on" position,and hook a wire from the points tho the negative side of the coil,the original condensor should work OK,you can put one on that was intended for the car coil onto the negative coil terminal instead too if desired...
It might be cheaper to use this setup than finding OEM parts...all the engines I switched to car coils ran better than they ever did with a magneto coil...

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts

·
Briggs powered Sears.
2,856 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank guys, all of the information has been great. I finally got my answer from Briggs. They sent me to the same parts list link that you guys did.

One more question (for now) Is the armature assembly the same as the coil?

I already ordered parts and Tulsa was way cheaper than Briggs with 1/2 the shipping costs.
Thanks again for all the help.
Joe

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
sanddawg u are wrong that is not the engine on the ss15 its the 32000 series further down the list. :)
OOPS!! :fing20: That will teach me to be posting while trying to do 4 other things! Thanks for the correction!

Question is why did I put the 19D engine manual in my Sub-15 file???

Doesn't the 19D go on the 725 model?

Found a parts list I saved for my Sub15

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your help.
I went to the Tulsa Engine Warehouse and found the parts I needed, they shipped them promptly and were half the price of the Briggs site.
Sunday afternoon I installed the magneto, replaced a condensor wire, new condenser, sanded the points, put in gas and cleaned and gapped the spark plug. It fired right up and runs great.

Now I just need the clutch to fully release the tension pulley so I can shift it. Looks like the hole in the pully bracket is now a slot and both ends of the connecting rod are worn down to half the 3/8 thickness they should be. I'll make a new rod and weld the slot back to a hole. That should give me enough throw to get the clutch to work.

If not I had another idea of making an adjustable rod using a 3/8 turnbuckle and adding a jamb nut to the right hand threaded end. That should give me plenty of adjustment.

Thank you for your help. My wife is very happy that it is now running. I can once again bring home used equipment.

We did find a running SS-15 with several attachments (plow, disc and front blade) in the local craigslist for $800 Contact me if you are interested and I'll forward the link.

joe

·
Briggs powered Sears.
2,856 Posts
those old tractors are worth it though. happy to hear u got it running

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is all fixed up and adjusted now, ready to pull the rototiller. Took it for a test drive last night and I am very impressed. These machines are great, plenty of GO and plenty of s...l...o...w. Thank you for all your help. Sears 1972 SS-15.
Joe

Attachments

·
Briggs powered Sears.
2,856 Posts
It is all fixed up and adjusted now, ready to pull the rototiller. Took it for a test drive last night and I am very impressed. These machines are great, plenty of GO and plenty of s...l...o...w. Thank you for all your help. Sears 1972 SS-15.
Joe
no problem what kind of tiller is that its not a 3pt

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tiller is a simple tow behind, single point attachment with a hitch pin. I see the frame on the tractor has holes on the sides for some kind of 3 point system. Still learning about this stuff.
Thanks
Joe

·
Briggs powered Sears.
2,856 Posts
3 pts hitched can be pricey. i got mine for 100 buck with a mold board plow (not pictured) but the grader thats on the tractor (half in the picture) i got it for 20 bucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, you scored on both. We will probably look out for a blade. My wife would love the front bucket but that has to be really rare (or really expensive). Most likely we will just pull the tiller and mow the grass and just keep our eyes open for other attachments.
Joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts