My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tractor fan
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The process has begun. Slow steady pressure being applied with copious amounts of penetrating oil. If anyone has any advice or do and do not's please let me know.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
I used about a 3\32 drill. I positioned the drill where it would just split the seam between sterring wheel and sterring shaft.I drilled all the way through thickness of steerin wheel.with a little penetrating oil and a few whacks with a hammer it came off.This did not ruin sterring wheel. If you would like after you reinstall wheel you can tap the hole and install a set screw.

·
Tractor fan
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Melvin,

Thank you for sharing your experience. If the slow steady approach doesn't yield any result's after a couple of days I'll proceed with your direction. Dumb question but when you were applying your ball-peen persuader where were you whacking the wheel?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
I smack the end of the puller.......JB.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,266 Posts
the tighten spray whack repeat process is the best- my GT18 i had to take a big socket and drive the steering wheel down the steering shaft to free it, then whacked the steering shaft - ended braking the eclip that holds the shaft up, but it came all apart with hardly any problems.

·
Tractor fan
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After much persistence and a little less than respectable language the wheel in off! :) Thank you all for the advice and coaxing. I did exactly as directed. I tightened, smacked, sprayed, tighten, whacked, sprayed, etc. That little bugger was determined and gave me a run for my money. I even broke a puller because she was so stubborn. Never the less in the end I won... "Sorta". Like an idiot I forgot about pulling the amp meter before getting serious on the wheel. Sure enough when she finally gave in the clamp around the shaft bashed the trim ring something fierce. It wasn't original and can be replaced but that's not the point. It's one of those things that didn't need to happen/shouldn't have happened. I'm pretty disappointed in myself for being so stupid. Oh well, this to shall pass. I learned something from it and will take greater care to "See what I'm looking at" as a wise man once told me. Sorry for the ranting. I'll post more pics as progress continues. Have a good evening all.

Dave

Attachments

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,266 Posts
glad you got it off! sorry bout the meter :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts