My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an alternative to the John Deere squeegee blade. Has anyone actually used a strip from a Tractor Supply stall mat? I am concerned if they are tough enough to use for a blade. Would like to know of there are any other options. Thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
Actually I would say the stall mats from TSC are a good 5 to 6 times thicker and atleast that more durable than the JD rubber blade. I put one on last year and used the heck out of it. It has worn down a bit but actually it has sharpened the angle of attack of the blade so now it does an even better job.

SOmewhere on this forum is a thread including pics of how I cut and mounted it.

Oh also the cost! One mat can be cut into about 15 strips. More than I will use in my lifetime. What is left over after cutting one strip - I use as a parking mat for the tractor.
Trust me you will not be sorry if you give it a try.

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I cut one out of an old radial tire. It's hard to be neat when cutting the tire tread, but it was free!

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Try this http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=69051&highlight=rubber

I had done close to the opposite of this with my 48" ATV plow. I used an 8" piece of rubber similar to what everyone using here but bolted it to the top of my blade. The ATV had a bit more speed and it helped to roll the snow up, forward, and to the side instead of up and over the blade. With no down pressure I needed the cutting edge and blade weight to help so I replaced the thin 2" cutting edge with a 7/16" x 3.5" piece of steel. It lasted a lot better than the stock one. Again, with no down pressure the blacktop coating did not take too much of a beating. I always (well most of the time at least) had a layer of snow on the black top.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,548 Posts
The Deere one is unfortunately overpriced and it doesn't even come in that expensive green and yellow :sidelaugh

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Just in case anyone actually needs another use for a rubber edge... Today I pushed all the maple leaves off the blacktop parking area so I could get traction to push wood up to my stacks. Quicker than going all the way to the rear garage wall, taking down and firing up the Stihl blower and it did a right nice job of it...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.