My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys do with squeaky pulleys on your blowers? It's more like a loud squealing noise. Is it safe to use an oil? Which one would you recommend?

Spray type lithium grease sticks to it pretty well...I have used just engine oil in an oil squirting can...is it on a belt or chain pulley?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Spray type lithium grease sticks to it pretty well...I have used just engine oil in an oil squirting can...is it on a belt or chain pulley?
Belt. Does the lithium spray last longer than regular oil?

It is grease it is thicker than oil and it sticks...you can get it in a spray can and shoot it onto the points that need lubrication...if you don't have any and you really have to lube it...the oil will work, but it will need attention again sooner that the lithium grease

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help Mark. I'll probably have to use oil to start with for tomorrow's snowblower.

Registered
Never put oil on the pulley where it comes into contact with the belt. If it is the belt squeaking, you could try some belt dressing but usually it is a symptom of a worn belt or worn pulley.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Never put oil on the pulley where it comes into contact with the belt. If it is the belt squeaking, you could try some belt dressing but usually it is a symptom of a worn belt or worn pulley.
No, it's not the belt squeaking. Definitely wouldn't put oil on the belt.

blinged out
I relace the bearings now! I bought a couple assemblies and they kept going bad from water intrusion so now I have drilled the welds out and just replace the bearings when needed and pop rivet them together for $6! I have a couple spares ready so I can change them when needed! same bearing fits the idlers on the tractor drive belt if you have an X3 or x5!

Registered
As a strictly temporary measure, I have used one or two drops of bar oil forced into the bearing or bushing. Careful clean up of all excess is mandatory. This might get you through until you can change out the bearing which is the correct solution. Otherwise, live with the sound. Like an alarm, it will remind you to stop at the parts store until you do! ;)

Parts collector
As a strictly temporary measure, I have used one or two drops of bar oil forced into the bearing or bushing. Careful clean up of all excess is mandatory. This might get you through until you can change out the bearing which is the correct solution. Otherwise, live with the sound. Like an alarm, it will remind you to stop at the parts store until you do! ;)
I have done that too, get a needle and syringe (tractor supply) with chain saw bar oil in it and inject it in the rubber seal. I have mini grease gun for air tools that I use though.

blinged out
someone suggested to me once lubricating an idler on a deck bearing[complete waste of time] it lasted about an hr. before the annoyance returned, just put a new bearing in! seems once they've dried up the balls and races are scored and noisy no matter how much grease on them!

Registered
Al are you telling us that some water got past the washers etc?

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
someone suggested to me once lubricating an idler on a deck bearing[complete waste of time] it lasted about an hr. before the annoyance returned, just put a new bearing in! seems once they've dried up the balls and races are scored and noisy no matter how much grease on them!
I'll be replacing them this Spring. In the meantime I have to keep this blower limping along.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14

Registered
Not what I'm hoping to hear. At least let us know that they lasted a lot longer than previously.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts