My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any annoying squeaking with a LA series lawn tractor?.Its been happening for awhile,but i really never noticed much with the noise limiting headphones on.It happens when ever i cut but intermittent when cutting.Nothing to do with the Deck cutting since when i turn blades off still the squeak.It sounds exactly like the squeaking noise i get when i raise and lower the deck so thinking it thats a clue but so far haven't found the source.:(

·
Registered
179 Posts
Anyone have any annoying squeaking with a LA series lawn tractor?.Its been happening for awhile,but i really never noticed much with the noise limiting headphones on.It happens when ever i cut but intermittent when cutting.Nothing to do with the Deck cutting since when i turn blades off still the squeak.It sounds exactly like the squeaking noise i get when i raise and lower the deck so thinking it thats a clue but so far haven't found the source.:(
Probably just time to get the oil can out.

Or get the mouse out from under the hood.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Yep, I get the same on my older L120, gonna get the WD-40 out and see what I can find Monday afternoon :rauch10:

·
Branded for LIFE !!!
4,451 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the nice comments so far!Next weekend ill be taking a extra long holiday weekend so i hope to tackle the squeak with a can of wd40.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Jim:: Swing by a auto suppy and pickup a can of this.. http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/CRC/CRC06037.html It has a tube spray extender just like WD40...and sprays out like sillystring..Great stuff...B,:trink40:

not being smart but i never put grease on anything that is exposed to DIRT.its just matter of time before it will grind away with grease.i saw friend grease his steering wheel gear with that same grease, in 1 year it wore it out.dirt got in grease and acts like sandpaper.

only thing i use on anything is teflon spray that will not attract dirt.

again,not knocking your idea only 40 years of seeing what GREASE will do to part with dirt in it.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I had the exact same type of squeek from the first 3 mos. of use on my '04 GX. This is what it was in my case...

On uneven ground there was a squeek which I thought at first was a wooden deck roller catching the ground and turning slightly. One day I had the deck off and the plow on and it let a little one out. Backed up and went over the same hump again and got another squeek. "AHH HAH! Front axle needs some grease!", so I greased it.... and greased it until I could pump no more and still could not see any grease coming out. Still squeeked going over the same place.

Jacked the tractor off the ground got under. I found that the axle rubs the frame where it shouldn't rub. There's too little clearance between the axle and the frame on the right front side. Pivot system is installed correctly and properely fastened, there's just no room on the right front side to clear the frame at certain axle/frame angles.

I grease that shiny spot on the frame/axle every time I grease the tractor. No more "SQUEEK". (AND I still can't find out where all the grease goes when I grease the pivot fitting. None ever comes out around the pivot anywhere... I'm assuming the axle is hollow. Or was but is now full of grease. I am NOT interested enough to pull the entire front axle, there has to be a few mysteries in life to make it interesting!:D)

MY problem is solved, good luck on yours!:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts