My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to let everyone know how I made out. I used the old rope trick in the cylinder and after a few blows on the wrench with a hammer, the sprocket came loose. That is a good tip to remember. The bearings and rollers inside are in pretty good shape but the springs came out in peices so I'll have to see if they are available. Also changed the seal and gaskets on the crank and put it back together. The main bearing has a little slop in it but being a ball bearing I'm not sure how much is there originally. I just bought this tractor at a yard sale-- tractor , brush hog and rotary plow for 100 dollars.-- couldn't pass it up although I have never had a gravely before. I want to run it first to see if it has any other problems before I get into changing the main bearing. Thanks for all the help and info. west penn:thanku:

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,318 Posts
You made a very nice score! Great shopping and congrats on the starter sprocket success. Keep us up to date in your adventures. You're gonna love that tractor.

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
Wanted to let everyone know how I made out. I used the old rope trick in the cylinder and after a few blows on the wrench with a hammer, the sprocket came loose. That is a good tip to remember. The bearings and rollers inside are in pretty good shape but the springs came out in peices so I'll have to see if they are available. Also changed the seal and gaskets on the crank and put it back together. The main bearing has a little slop in it but being a ball bearing I'm not sure how much is there originally. I just bought this tractor at a yard sale-- tractor , brush hog and rotary plow for 100 dollars.-- couldn't pass it up although I have never had a gravely before. I want to run it first to see if it has any other problems before I get into changing the main bearing. Thanks for all the help and info. west penn:thanku:

Did she happen to break free with a "rifle shot" sound like some people have experienced? I'm hoping to change a damaged one out this summer with a spare that I've had sitting around for a few years.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It really wasn't that tough I put the plate on the front and stood it on it's nose and sprayed blaster in. I would advise using a smaller "clothesline cord .I used a fairly large nylon rope and had to use a crowbar toget it started back out of the cylinder. Im glad it was nylon or I might of had to take the head off after all:banghead3

1 - 4 of 4 Posts