My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have this Ruger air hawk, and I really like it, but it keeps destroying so called Airgun rated scopes. The main use is for pest control, (tree rats, chipmunks, barn rats...). Any suggestions? If you see this RudeDawg, I’d like to know what your setup is.

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also any accuracy/ hunting tips would be greatly appreciated. Maybe turn this into an Airgun thread? ???

·
Registered
344 Posts
Ah, an age-old dilemma.

Not really a dilemma though.
Most folks that I know who picked up a break-barrel air gun immediately encounter the exact same circumstance as you (Me included). The average cheap air rifle scope that you might grab at the local hardware store or walley world just wont sit still in the mount, or the mount wont sit still in the groove, or worse - the reticle shoots loose.:oops:

The last one of these that I had was a relatively inexpensive Cummings break barrel. I think it was "supposed" to be in the 800 fps neighborhood?
I certainly wasn't going to spend more on a scope for a suped-up BB gun than I did for the gun! I have a drawer of miscellaneous scopes and mounts, so I attached a cheap Simmons 3x-9x on Weaver rings that I had taken off of a center fire rifle years before, and never had trouble with that set up.

The takeaway is that your instinct is correct - you need a scope that is made to withstand recoil. But, I don't think you need to spend a whole lot of money for it.

Also, I never ventured from the standard lead Crosman Destroyer hunting pellets into the alloy world. Curious if you have done so and how they perform?

Renster

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,711 Posts
I've got no answer, but will follow this thread because I too could use one. The scope that came with my Vantage Nitro visibly moved after about 100 shots. If these dang old eyes weren't deteriorating, I know I used to shoot better with open sites. Not any more though. Good luck.

But an ultimate plinker:

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use Crosman premier 7.9 gr hollow points for hunting. All the scopes I put on and completely destroyed after 30 - 40 shots. The recticle begins to rattle around inside the scope. I have found the airhawk to be very hold sensitive as well, any tips there?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Jere,

Was that the Crosman CenterPoint scope that came on your Vantage?
I had one of those that came on a new ... hmmm, Legacy I think it was?
Anyway it was a pumper, and that CenterPoint was very squirrelly (no pun intended ;) ).
Had trouble with it.

A.t.t., what do you mean by "hold" sensitive?

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I grip it to tightly, the groups grow substantially. It’s the exact opposite of shooting a powder burner. Look up ”Airgun artillery hold’

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got no answer, but will follow this thread because I too could use one. The scope that came with my Vantage Nitro visibly moved after about 100 shots. If these dang old eyes weren't deteriorating, I know I used to shoot better with open sites. Not any more though. Good luck.

View attachment 2448992

But an ultimate plinker:

View attachment 2448993
that scope looks identical to the one that came with my Ruger. Seems to be a generic Chinese scope that comes with the Airgun - scope combos. Does it by chance say it’s made by Umarex somewhere? Is it a 4x32?

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,711 Posts
Jere,

Was that the Crosman CenterPoint scope that came on your Vantage?
I had one of those that came on a new ... hmmm, Legacy I think it was?
Anyway it was a pumper, and that CenterPoint was very squirrelly (no pun intended ;) ).
Had trouble with it.

A.t.t., what do you mean by "hold" sensitive?
that scope looks identical to the one that came with my Ruger. Seems to be a generic Chinese scope that comes with the Airgun - scope combos. Does it by chance say it’s made by Umarex somewhere? Is it a 4x32?
It is the CenterPoint 4x32. It is made in China, and I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised if it were marketed under other names, like Umarex. But this one is marketed as a CenterPoint:

Background not intentionally blurred, but might be better that it is. Not a show piece among them. Each has important meat producing responsibilities.

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep,
that’s the one. Mine just has the Ruger logo on it, but in fine print it says “made in China - Umarex MFG” same exact rings, as well as turrets

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Have any of y'all shot CCI's Quiet .22LR ammo? Just about as quiet as an air rifle out of my old long barreled bolt action.

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not with our gun laws up here

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,711 Posts
Not much going on among the other threads, so, I'll contribute some more pic's
I ended up with a wide collection of .177 pellets at various prices. Had some kind of coupon from Pyramid Air, and splurged:

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats a fair bit of pellets!
I use the same Benjamin 7.9 gr hollow points, which are the exact same as Crosman premier hollow points ( commonly know as CPHP’s). I also use the Crosman 7.4 gr wadcutters in my Chinese B1 air rifle, my chipmunk rifle. It’s loads lighter than my airhawk, and has enough power for chipmunks

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, when I let my dog out this morning, I spotted a trio of black squirrels down in the tree line. They have made a mess out of both the neighbors and our out buildings, so they have now become a target along with the feed - stealing chipmunks (chew holes in the feed bags) .
so, they dog and I chased on up a tree, and I got a quick headshot with my Chinese B1. It only pushes a 8 gr .177 pellet at 495 FPS, but it’s enough to take out rodents. It’s my chipmunk gun, I have a 4x scope on it, I like using it instead of my Ruger because of how lightweight it is. It ain’t pretty, but it sure does get the job done! I would have preferred the extra power of my Ruger for the squirrel, but it was all the way out in the barn, out of service waiting for a new scope. As I was coming back to the barn to feed the horses, I spotted a chipmunk! Very early in the season! Unfortunately I shot a 1/4” above his head, right into the wood fence he was standing on. Enough to stun it, but not for long enough to reload :(
what are you guys up to?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
So i have this Ruger air hawk, and I really like it, but it keeps destroying so called Airgun rated scopes. The main use is for pest control, (tree rats, chipmunks, barn rats...). Any suggestions? If you see this RudeDawg, I’d like to know what your setup is.
Sorry for the late response. I bought my rifles & accessories from Pyramyd Air and use a UTG Scope UTG Leapers UTG 4-16x50 AO True Hunter Rifle Scope, EZ-TAP, Illuminated Mil-Dot Reticle, 1/4 MOA, 1" Tube, See-Thru Weaver Rings. Variable magnification. ; Hawke low rings Hawke Sport Optics Hawke 1" Rings, Weaver, Low, Black. 1" rings. and a Drooper rail UTG Drooper Scope Rail, 11mm-to-Weaver Adapter, Compensates for Droop & Stops Scope Shift.
If you decided to go with the 50mm scope and don't use the drooper rail you will need the higher rings. I have used this set up on both of my RWS/Diana 34 T06 Classics, one since 2013 and the other since 2015 with countless tins of pellets thru them and both scopes are still dead on accurate. Good luck.

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks!
how was the scope as far as fitting the Diana 34? My airhawk is a clone of that gun, so I was winding how it fit as far as eye relief and clearance for the break barrel. I was looking at the UTG 4-16x40 AO scope. Opinions?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Have any of y'all shot CCI's Quiet .22LR ammo? Just about as quiet as an air rifle out of my old long barreled bolt action.
I have and love them plus CCI CB shorts out of my old Marlin b/a. Bagged 3 raccoons with single head shots w/CB shorts under 20 yrds. during the summer before last; they were destroying our bird feeders at night. I sat in wait in the porch blind on several occasions from midnight to 4:30 am and the neighbors never heard the rifle go off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts