My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all-
Winter is coming and I'm in the market for a tow behind spreader. Of course I looked at the JD offering first and it says that the internals are stainless steel. I looked at the Brinley site and they don't even mention the internals. Now, I'm smart enough to know that there are differing grades of stainless and that well engineered plastic can be just as tough in some instances.

I'm going to be spreading a sand/salt mix on the driveway that I get from the municipality. That means it's a very "hot" mix. I don't want to spend a not-so-small fortune on a spreader that melts away after the first year. I'd also like to be able to control the spread of the throw as well.

In your vast experience what gives out first? The impellers? The bushings? Are there even bushings?
Would I be better off buying the smallest cheapest unit and giving up on it in a couple of years instead of the two of us growing old together?

If you have some experience with spreaders and wouldn't mind sharing it I'd really appreciate it. It gets tiresome spreading 5-10 gallons of mix by hand.
Thanks

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
The key to any of them lasting is cleaning it very thoroughly washing all of the salt and sand out before it has a chance to corrode. slkpk

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Not enough for just the internal parts to be stainless. Mine is rusting everywhere and I keep it in out of the weather, using it only in Summer for fertilizer.

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts

I have a LPBS36JD ( forget the trailer it was there for size comparison, the spreader is BIG)
I like that you can direct the spray left center, full, or right center. Stops fertilize going where it shouldn't and should help for winter applications too. The best point for me is I can reach the big off-on handle from the seat.
Just one possible suggestion, there may be better ones for sand and salt !!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info :thanku:-
I've decided to go to the dealer and take a look at the schematics for one to see how it's built. Then I'll go to Home Despot and un-pack a Brinley and take a peek at their internals.

I'm not really picky but when the price gets over $200 I get a bit particular and I want to know more. I'm sure "Lowes-t" has one to look at too. "Precision" or something like that.

I'm only going to look at the assembly manuals though, I'm done with assembling them at the store.;)

Again, thanks for the smarts everybody-

M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts