My Tractor Forum banner

Spray painting mower

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Lan4cr 
#1 ·
I'm looking to paint a couple of John Deere tractors and am thinking about buying a decent working inexpensive HVLP spray gun to use for the job. And maybe for a few odd jobs around the garage. What do you guys use and what would you suggest? Thanks.

#3 ·
HVLP spray gun s are expensive,best to get a cheaper gravity feed,looks just like hvlp,use JD paint and best get the harderner (tractor supply),the paint will look good

#4 ·
FWIW...VALSPAR is the company that makes the JOHN DEERE branded paint... so no need to pay the high price of original John Deere Paint when you can buy Valspar branded paint.

#7 ·
By chance do you know the paint numbers for both the yellow and green paints made by Valspar for John Deere?

#8 ·
I bought my HVLP from Eastwood Company. You tend to get what you pay for so...pay a little up front now and it should last you a long time. The paint guns I bought came in two sizes, one they held about a quart and the other about a pint. I tend to use the smaller of the two for better control. Just make sure you clean them well after each use.

While HVLP's have a higher initial cost they tend to use less paint for the same job so if that's a consideration...

#10 · (Edited)
FWIW, I am still an ASE certified car painter. I just picked up one of those Harbor Freight spray guys to spray some of that Valspar paint this weekend. I was very impressed with the gun and it was worth the whole (20% coupon off) $10.00 I paid for it. If you are just spraying a few tractors, just go that route... A pro needs a pro gun, but I am telling you, that Harbor Freight gun really sprays good, even great!

PS, Take a look in the "tool time" section of this website, I posted a photo and review of this gun just the other day.

Here is the box I painted for my son with it. (PS, I only painted the bottom... the dull paint on the top box is factory Craftsman!)

#11 ·
Thanks for the info, it will diffinately save time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.