My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend after beefing up some welds on my homemade scoop, I decided to change the color from JD Yellow to JD Green. Also adding a wear bar to the leading edge then priming and painting the outside of the scoop JD Green, I painted the inside with high performance flat black enamel.

I think it turned out fine.

My question;

Has anyone used (successfully) a spray-on or roll-on bed liner type material on their implements?

I’ve included some photos.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Hey! There is a dirty spot at 10 o'clock on that right front tire!

That's an awesome job on that scoop, Danco.

Sorry, no help on the bedliner.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Any paint is going to get worn off on a bucket like that, I don't think bedliner would last any longer than regular paint.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey! There is a dirty spot at 10 o'clock on that right front tire!

That's an awesome job on that scoop, Danco.

Sorry, no help on the bedliner.
D-Dogg,
Thanks for the compliment.

I had some help.
Here’s the boy getting some grinder-time.

·
Silent, Senior MTF Member
871 Posts
I bought a rusty old Wheel Horse cart a short while ago. I'm going to use Por 15 on it, then, over that, I planned on using a roll-on type bed liner.

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
Line X is **** near bulletproof but it costs an arm and a leg. Alot of local guys with trail rigs coat most if not all of their trucks/crawlers with that stuff.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Great job! :fing32:

Wouldn't the liner material be rough enough to make soil stick to the inside of the bucket, especially if it is wet?

Just a thought.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
I am friends with a guy that does the spray in liners and he has done a couple things for me in the past.

First I give you my Massey mower deck. After sandblasting and prep work, he sprayed a red tinted bed liner on the top side of the deck. This was detail masked to fit exactly the shape of the top shield. This will stop the rust from the water and grass sitting packed in there,

Same tractor, with a black liner sprayed into the tool box area of the tractor fender pan. This area tends to get rusty fast and I want to keep stuff like hitch pins and even a class 2 receiver in there. The seat "lid" also rubs on the sides so I masked it a bit higher so the lid rubs the liner and not the fresh paint.

Links to the rebuilds
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=127618
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=123599

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
That looks great!

·
20,000 +posts!
20,958 Posts
Herculiner is much better than Dupli-Color's bedliner....had bad luck with Dupli-Color and so have other guys I know who bought it because it costed less..

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am friends with a guy that does the spray in liners and he has done a couple things for me in the past.

First I give you my Massey mower deck. After sandblasting and prep work, he sprayed a red tinted bed liner on the top side of the deck. This was detail masked to fit exactly the shape of the top shield. This will stop the rust from the water and grass sitting packed in there,

Same tractor, with a black liner sprayed into the tool box area of the tractor fender pan. This area tends to get rusty fast and I want to keep stuff like hitch pins and even a class 2 receiver in there. The seat "lid" also rubs on the sides so I masked it a bit higher so the lid rubs the liner and not the fresh paint.

Links to the rebuilds
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=127618
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=123599
Very nice!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Let's see. I used Herculiner from Autozone on:

The bed of my 21 JD dump trailer
The floorboards of my Kawasaki 2510 Mule
The floorboards and pedals of my JD 670, and
The automatic stps for our motorhome.

I've been happy with all of them. The original intent was to coat the trailer bed, and there was enough left that the rest were bonuses (boni?). I think to do 2 coats on everything took a gallon and a quart.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Let's see. I used Herculiner from Autozone on:

The bed of my 21 JD dump trailer
The floorboards of my Kawasaki 2510 Mule
The floorboards and pedals of my JD 670, and
The automatic stps for our motorhome.

I've been happy with all of them. The original intent was to coat the trailer bed, and there was enough left that the rest were bonuses (boni?). I think to do 2 coats on everything took a gallon and a quart.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Actually I had a rusty old JD trailer that I wire brushed and painted first with some flat black Rustoleum. Then I followed up with 2 coats of Rustoleum spray on bed liner paint that I found at Lowes. I have used the trailer to haul dirt and stone not to mention the tools, and it hasn't even got a scratch on it. I just did it this year, so can't tell you how long it will last, but for now so far so good. It sits outside, and we have had some rain all summer, and it doesn't show signs of rust anywhere.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Herculiner is pretty tough stuff, and works well if you do a good job of prepping the surface for it.

That being said, I have been a field service mechanic on heavy equipment for 20 plus years and have never seen a coating that would stand up to the work a bucket does. They all end up bare steel. Also, until it wears off, it will probably make dirt stick in the bucket since it is rough.

Nice work on building the bucket!!!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Maybe spray liner the back side and leave the front painted.Then take a picture while it looks good and then put it to work.Unless your moving cotton it will end up bare, but powder coat may last a little longer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts