My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Owner: The Lazy MF Ranch
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm finally getting around to adding Touch-Control to my B. The hand lever for my belly blade takes too much effort to operate and snow could be coming soon. I was already underway when I decide to take some pictures. Sorry but I missed an opportunity to document from the beginning.
Touch-Control and Super C torque tube

Front splitting stand made from scrap iron from the place I work

Rear stand

Come along rigged to the rafters

Split in thirds

Clutch parts removed from the torque tube

That's Rusty inspecting the old tube. Tomorrow night I will pressure wash the C torque tubes insides and get everything ready to reassemble over the weekend. I will tow the rolling chassis into work and give it all a new coat of paint in our booth. I'm hoping that by posting these pics I will be forced to finish the project. I'll be back as I get more done.
Later, JM

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
Did you get the pump with your lift? I see the mounting hole in the block for it . Was there a block off plate over the hole originally?

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have the pump. The original block was damaged when it was delivered to Dad in '46. The dealership could only get a C block so that was done. There is a plate to cover the hole. BTW, I will need to extend the steering shaft that carries the worm because the u-joint will otherwise hit the pump. That was a horrible sentence but I'll bet you get the idea. Heres a couple more pics.

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like the job took a turn for extra work. While the tractor was split I checked the transmission bearings. The upper bearing (input shaft) has at least .06 side to side play. I called a local bearing supplier and ordered all of the bearings and a seal to replace everything in the tranny. I pulled the drain plug and about a pint of water came out before any oil. I went ahead and pulled the PTO so I could clean out all of the ****. While I have it apart I will replace the PTO bearings also. I'll order them tomorrow. None of the gears show any rust or broken teeth, a little luckier than I'm used to. I'm thinking that I should go ahead and open up the final drive and bring it to new condition also. So much for painting next week. Here are a few more pics to show where I'm at.

JM

·
Registered
153 Posts
Its funny how a little project always turns into a big project! Lol But taking the time and doing a proper job has its rewards! Keep the updates coming and good luck.

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have ordered all of the bearings, gaskets etc for the final drives on the B. The revised plan is to tear it all apart and paint each piece separately. I'm not sure how to do the bolts when it gets reassembled, maybe I'll just use a brush to cover them. They will all be new. How have the rest of you done this? I guess I could wait to paint until it is a unit.

JM

·
Registered
153 Posts
I took a large cardboard box and poked holes in it, then placed the bolts in those holes leaving the top half of the bolt exposed and sprayed them with primer then paint. The nuts I just touched up with a brush, it turned out well. Its nice to break it down to paint as many parts as you can but assembly can be harder cause you dont want to scratch anything. You have too use your judgment on what to paint as an assembly and what not too. I tried to imagen how they did it at the factory when they built it originaly. Good luck!

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats the way we do with the equipment we build at work, but it is powder coated. I'm not going to spring for that. I shouldn't have much touchup left if I try it your way, probably what I'll do. I'll have a 4 day holiday to get it all disassembled and prepped.

JM

·
Old Iron 1%er
873 Posts
Do it once, do it right! I'm glad you're doing it the right way!

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the encouragement. I didn't get as much time over the holiday as I wanted so I'm still tearing down. I hope to crack the diff tubes away from the transmission case this week. I'll post more pics as I get back after it. I have taken some more pics, I'll post them when I have it ready to powerwash.

JM

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, I just came across this thread. Have you already been able to get the lower shafts and input shaft out yet? If not here is what I did when I rebuilt the Trans in my super c. Pull the top-deck off, separate transmission tube from rear housing. Disconnect drive shaft. Remove input shaft yoak. I think the shaft will slip out toward back of the tractor. I think you will have to pull the 2 bull gears and differential unit as well. While you have everything out might want to check the other bearings and seals while you have it apart. Hope That helps, If you need further help please reply and Will see if I can help you further. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts