My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife wanted some company taking the dog to the vet.. it's a good 30 mins away so I negotiated adding the Tractor Supply Co that's in the same area to the itinerary.

I made it through only 1/3 of the aisles before my "time was up", but in that time this caught my eye so I bought it:

Easy Rider Tight Turn Steering Knob

Got the grey one and put on the Cub (looks powder blue in my photos but it's grey). Wasn't sure of the best position to put it on the wheel... initially wanted to put it at the 6 o'clock position but my wheel has a crossbar right there so that was out. Currently it's at 12 o'clock. Any suggestions? I'm a leftie but the steering is too stiff on this mower (without a knob) to steer one-handed. Maybe with the knob it will be different.

Haven't mowed the yard with it yet but did take her for a quick "spin" in the driveway. Works good, and no sharp protrusions to snag on one's wrist like the "suicide knob" monicker suggests. Ad says it has bearings inside.. it does rotate very smoothly.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
****, I was in a TSC store whilst on vacation looking for one of those but all they had were the old fashion wood ones with the bolts that rip your hands open. Sears.com have them online too but not Sears.ca so I stopped in at a small Sears agency store in the US but they said the spinner is only available online.

I might have to break down and go to a John Deere dealership and pick up a green one.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I would mount it at 5 o'clock so that it is out of the way for conventional steering. Now that's just me as I tend to drive clockwise circles most of the time. I steer with my left hand while my right hand is on the hydro control.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Looks good. I will have to look the next time I am there. The old spinner I got I mounted in the 7:00 position and I steer mostly with my left hand and it seems to work better for me in that position.:trink39:

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
7 to 8 o'clock would be best for a lefty.
In that position the small +1/-1 movements would all be with elbow rotation and not the shoulder since the forearm would be more perpendicular to the wheel. In the 5 o'clock position, the forearm would be tangential and the +1/-1 motion would be more in the shoulder.

Oh, I have long arms like an ape and my 6'2" frame is hunched over the wheel.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
:fing32: They are great !! I have the green one on my Bobcat loader/backhoe .. I picked it up last year on the clearance rack at TSC .. mine was out of the package .. but all there

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Bought the same one, same color.. Love it! It's comfortable, ball bearing and it makes it so much easier for me to rapidly change directions now :)

·
Just Evil
903 Posts
I have the same one(same color too) on my LTX1046VT Cub. mounted mine on the lower left side of the steering wheel(when the steering wheel is centered and the front wheels are straight ahead). I'm a righty, and steer with my left hand. Leaves my right hand free to raise the deck as I travel over stuff like tree roots that are sticking out of the ground so I don't hit them with the blades. I like my spinner, works great.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
14,729 Posts
I had one on my Craftsman. I am a lefty and mounted it at the 7 o'clock position. Didn't have power steering but it made steering much easier. I am going to get one for the BX which does have p.s. I seem to use one hand most of the time anyway.:fing32:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I bought a John Deere green one (Lowes was out of red and grey) and put it on my aunt's MTD Huskee to mow with. Did not like it at all. it felt too tight. Hopefully the power steering on my Ariens will make it eaiser to use.

·
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In that position the small +1/-1 movements would all be with elbow rotation and not the shoulder since the forearm would be more perpendicular to the wheel. In the 5 o'clock position, the forearm would be tangential and the +1/-1 motion would be more in the shoulder.

Oh, I have long arms like an ape and my 6'2" frame is hunched over the wheel.

Aha! So *you're* the guy those Rat Fink Hot Rod style posters were modeled after!:hide:

Do you also have the big 8-ball knob on your tractor's gear shift? :ROF

That gives me an idea for my next avatar edit.. might photoshop a big gear shifter in there.. heh.

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
The two most common positions used to be 10 o'clock (left-handed) and 2 o'clock (right-handed)

·
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
The two most common positions used to be 10 o'clock (left-handed) and 2 o'clock (right-handed)
For many years, 10 and 2 were purported to be the proper position for hands on a wheel but lately it has met with much debate. At 10 and 2, there supposedly is less wheel turn without having to reposition one's hands and the weight of the hand/arm crossing over the apex of the wheel can cause over steer in panic steering situations.

Also, with the advent of air bags, the forearms at 10 and 2 are more likely to be injured during deployment. 9 and 3 is new school.

Now, this probably does not apply to manual steered tractors with spinners so the only concern would be for the spinner to not interfere with normal two handed steering. I've seen spinners catch on sleeves and bruise thumbs.

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
For many years, 10 and 2 were purported to be the proper position for hands on a wheel but lately it has met with much debate. At 10 and 2, there supposedly is less wheel turn without having to reposition one's hands and the weight of the hand/arm crossing over the apex of the wheel can cause over steer in panic steering situations.

Also, with the advent of air bags, the forearms at 10 and 2 are more likely to be injured during deployment. 9 and 3 is new school.

Now, this probably does not apply to manual steered tractors with spinners so the only concern would be for the spinner to not interfere with normal two handed steering. I've seen spinners catch on sleeves and bruise thumbs.
None of my tractors have airbags...:rolleyes::sidelaugh

Yeah...when I was involved in Emergency Services...there was a driver refresher course to get our hands down from the 10 and 2 to the 9 and 3 because of airbags causing fractured forearms if they deployed in an accident and your hands were in the old position...they also hammered drivers for NOT hand-shuffling during your turns...i.e. NO crossover of the hands on the wheel...;)

·
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
None of my tractors have airbags...:rolleyes::sidelaugh

Yeah...when I was involved in Emergency Services...there was a driver refresher course to get our hands down from the 10 and 2 to the 9 and 3 because of airbags causing fractured forearms if they deployed in an accident and your hands were in the old position...they also hammered drivers for NOT hand-shuffling during your turns...i.e. NO crossover of the hands on the wheel...;)
Hand-shuffling.. isn't that what little old ladies do? Sure, maybe you reduce the risk of the airbag breaking a forearm if it goes off, but doesn't this also increase the risk of hitting something and having it go off in the first place because I'd be "shuffling" around every corner?

Good Lord, next we'll find labels on our visors/glovebox that we cant look left or right while driving because, in the rare possibility of an airbag deployment, it might smack us in the ear, causing Earlobe Abrasion Redness (EAR).

"Well, yeah, the airbag *did* save my life, but that doesn't matter... LOOK AT MY MILDLY REDDENED EARLOBE!!.. I'm gonna SUE!" :duh:

I blame the lawyers.

I realize the good EMS folks are just trying to save us injury. But there is a limit. Taken to the extreme, if you never leave the house for fear of injury, what's the point? We'll all end up like the obese hover-chair bound people in Wall-E. Ah, that's good livin'!

(..as I write this from my sedentary post at my computer chair, where I spend too much time already):00000057:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts