My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you tell when the spindle or bearing is bad in your deck?

I've noticed recently the deck noise between my two Gravelys is significantly different.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I would loosen the belt so you can turn each spindle individually by hand and feel for any "bumps" or anything loose.

Also use the cardboard roll of a paper towel and put your ear on one end and listen to the machine with the other end while running. This isolates the noises actually quite well. And of course be careful getting to close to a deck while its operating. You don't have to stick the other end directly on the machine, just close.

Alex

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
When you remove the belt, if a spindle doesn't turn smoothly with minimal noise then it could stand to be changed.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What if I took a video? Could you guys hear it if I posted a video of the blades engaged?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
That would only tell us you had a bearing problem. (which is more than likely the case) Won't tell us which one though. Pull the belt, spin each one by hand. The bad one(s) will be patently obvious.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welli had to change a belt this weekend. I got into some taller, thick grass and- snap!
It gave me a chance to inspect the spindles and they spun freely as you guys described. Side to side movement was solid. I was relieved to think that a new belt might have solved the noise and shaking some. It didn't.

So I have decided to start with simple and move to more complex. I just purchased two idlers on eBay and will put them on and note the change.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Welli had to change a belt this weekend. I got into some taller, thick grass and- snap!
It gave me a chance to inspect the spindles and they spun freely as you guys described. Side to side movement was solid. I was relieved to think that a new belt might have solved the noise and shaking some. It didn't.

So I have decided to start with simple and move to more complex. I just purchased two idlers on eBay and will put them on and note the change.

Perhaps the blades are slightly bent or out of balance?

Alex

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perhaps the blades are slightly bent or out of balance?

Alex
I forgot to add to my post that I put brand new blades on (at the same time) and the noise didn't change, still there.

In the deck rebuild thread on this page I noticed Richard-tx said to replace the idler and bearings. Since I didn't notice any blatant noise or feel to the spindles I gotta start with the idlers. Seems it's the cheapest easiest route to start troubleshooting. I think two idlers was $27 or so on eBay...:dunno:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts