My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Junk Whisperer
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried this for 'special applications'? Or do they sell knobby-er wheels for the belt/gear drives? I can't get over how well my money-pit S21ESN sticks to even a vertical ditch. I actually look forward to mowing my ditches now! They're just 1 5/8 inch drywall screws, sticking out about 3/4 inch, but it made all the difference! The only trouble it gives me now is fuel starvation if the mower runs too long on too steep of a incline.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I have some steep hills and had a hand full of them myself but was standing over the mower with the drill and chuck and said "Nah" won't work. How many did you put in each tire and how long are they?

·
Junk Whisperer
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's 8 to a wheel. I used 1 5/8 inch and they stick out about 3/4 inch. I was careful not to get too far in there as it would mess up the inner gear teeth, but yeah, I can now just one-hand the handle and drive bail and walk along with it.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
There's 8 to a wheel. I used 1 5/8 inch and they stick out about 3/4 inch. I was careful not to get too far in there as it would mess up the inner gear teeth, but yeah, I can now just one-hand the handle and drive bail and walk along with it.

Can you get a side shot showing how far out they are? I need a reference. Lawn Mower cleats!!

·
Junk Whisperer
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here you go. I'm thinking about adding a second staggered row of them. The county dumped a bunch of softball sized limestones in one ditch, so a few of the spikes are bent a little. A second row would probably help them to last longer.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Here you go. I'm thinking about adding a second staggered row of them. The county dumped a bunch of softball sized limestones in one ditch, so a few of the spikes are bent a little. A second row would probably help them to last longer.

Wow you really have those out there !!. I guess you are also aerating the lawn at the same time as you cut it. Since I have to do some harder surfaces I might try a little shorter screw.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,789 Posts
My hard soil would take rail road spikes and 50 pound wheel weights.

·
Junk Whisperer
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My hard soil would take rail road spikes and 50 pound wheel weights.
It's definitely a special purpose kind of thing. I have to roll it out there on its fronts:D. I still push mow the normal finished yard with a regular LB.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts