My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to pick up this Speedex S24 later today. It has the original Briggs engine and a mowing deck is included but not currently attached. A previous owner has removed the starter/generator and replaced it with a foreign car starter of some sort, but another Briggs engine is included with a s/g to replace it. It runs. I have not checked the numbers yet but I believe S24 went into production in June on July of 1966. I think this will be an early one.

I will remove the ugly front bumper as soon as I get it home!

·
Super Moderator
37,121 Posts
I'm planning to pick up this Speedex S24 later today. It has the original Briggs engine and a mowing deck is included but not currently attached. A previous owner has removed the starter/generator and replaced it with a foreign car starter of some sort, but another Briggs engine is included with a s/g to replace it. It runs. I have not checked the numbers yet but I believe S24 went into production in June on July of 1966. I think this will be an early one. View attachment 2480426
I will remove the ugly front bumper as soon as I get it home!
Congrats on the S24! Looks like the PO had it set up for pushing things with that bumper setup.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I thought I had messed up the transmission big time on my Speedex yesterday! I attempted to pull my '54 Power King (with three very flat tires) off the trailer with it. Trying to back up the Speedex pulling it, the Speedex quit pulling and would only make a squealing noise. It sounded like the belt slipping but was not. Forward was still fine, but no reverse. I removed the trans and disassembled it expecting to find stripped gears or some other expensive damage. Turned out I could have fixed
the problem in a few minutes had I known, but I had to disassemble the trans to find that out.
The two curved plates being held by the shiny new bolts & washers control/adjust how deep the gear that is turned by the belt engages or meshes with the gears that drive the chain going to the rear axle. ( The trans has only one forward gear, neutral, and reverse). My reverse adjustment stop plate was keeping the drive and driven gear from fully engaging, thereby skipping, making the noise. I now have both forward and reverse gears adjusted so they are fully engaging and the shifter is locking then in. While I had the trans apart I cleaned, inspected, and regreased everything inside. It all looks and works good now.

·
Super Moderator
37,121 Posts
Yeah I've cut most of the front porch off. I found that the owner before last was a friend of mine so I called him and went and got several attachments for it. View attachment 2481893
When did Speedex make that Weiner dog attachment, that's the first time I've seen it! :) Good set of attachments, should make it a good worker.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That little dog, named Rip, is my helper. He inspects everything I work on and checks it from angles that are hard for me to reach. If I crank something he wants on to ride. He would drive if he could reach the pedals!
I hope to use the Speedex in my small(ish) garden this year.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used the Speedex today and it quit pulling again. Again I suspected the transmission but the drive chain had come off the sprocket on the transmission output side. The slack, or lack thereof is adjusted by sliding the transmission forward or backward on the frame. Then the length of the belt from the engine to the trans has to be changed. I'm learning about the Speedex as I go.

The trans will have to be moved forward quite a bit on the frame to tighten the chain, which will make the drive belt too long.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts