My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie with a '52 8N. Last night I noticed that I get a spark/arc off of the starter relay when I start my girl. She starts OK, but get a spark on the battery side of the starter relay when I push the starter bottom.

My 8N has been converted to 12 volt and I just put a new battery in her. I didn't notice the spark before I put he new battery in...but that doesn't mean that it wasn't sparking before with the old battery (I just didn't notice it).

The terminal connections are tight and clean. Is this normal? Or sould I get a standby starter relay to be safe?

Regards, Double Ott

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Since you say the connections are tight and clean I would guess the cable itself is the culprit. Check the lug on the end of the cable to make sure it is not corroded and still tight. Of course your solenoid could be cracked i guess allowing you to see a spark when you start it, really doubt it though.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think mine was doing the same thing. It doesn't happen all the time and when it happens I'm on the other side of the tractor. Mine did have a bunch of corrosion but I bought a new battery and cleaned it out with baking powder and warm water. Haven't noticed it since then but then again it didn't happen all the time either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine (on a 9N) was the cable between the switch and the starter, and possibly poor connection on the post- see threads from Edie Horton for cable details, new cable fixed it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts