My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
21,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend is having starting problems with a Lawnboy. Starts fine with the rope, but doesn't want to fire with the electric starter. I suggested changing to a non-resistor plug. Then he went and did it. Asked me the number for the plug. Couldn't come up with the correct answer to save me.

RJ12C is the resistor number. What's the non-resistor comparative?

It's for a Lawnboy 10545.

Thanks guys.

·
Administrator
21,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, think my feeble mind started working.

CJ14. Is that right??

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Sounds right to me, all of my lawn-boys have CJ-14's and that's what they should have. Good luck.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,270 Posts
The starter gould be pushing the crank to one side...
If the engine has points it could be opening them or closeing them...
No points then it could be moveing the flywheel away from the magnet...

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,077 Posts
A 10545 would have CDI ignition which requires about 800 rpm to produce a good spark. IF the starter is not turning the flywheel fast enough, the resistor plug may be requiring more than the the CDI can produce. CJ14 OR J14 have been plugs of long standing for LB.

Walt Conner

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
A 10545 would have CDI ignition which requires about 800 rpm to produce a good spark. IF the starter is not turning the flywheel fast enough, the resistor plug may be requiring more than the the CDI can produce. CJ14 OR J14 have been plugs of long standing for LB.

Walt Conner
Cj14 is the way to go for a LB anyway. Champion have been good longstanding performers in my Lawnboy engines.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I just bought a new E3 plug and a Autolite iridium to try. Doubt I'll notice much difference but it's something new. It's had to beat the old Champion CJ14.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
Over the years I've learned to use what the manu recommends whether its mower engines or my vehicle engines.

Take my Dodge Gran Caravan for example: I decided to change plugs one day and bought the equivalent to the Champion recommended plugs.....well, after realizing that the new plugs did not change the symptoms I was experiencing I thought it was something more serious than a mis fired plug.....Well, I took it to the dodge dealer and they changed out the new plugs with new champions like recommended and it solved the problem for about fifty more dollars.....:Disgus:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts