My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a source for mufflers similar to the early '70s Nelson "pancake" style mufflers?

I am repowering a '74 446. I am taking out the BF-MS and putting in a P218. ( And yes, there are clearance issues with the return hydro tube and the starter. Compounding that issue is this tractor has a nipple on the return line for the hydro PTO. It looks like this tractor had the rear PTO and travel control from the factory.)

Back to the real issue...

I have similar style mufflers from the BF-MS that was in the tractor when I bought it, but they are quite a bit larger than stock and pretty heavy. They were mounted with threaded pipe elbows and straight sections. ( screw-in to the exhaust manifold) There is no bracing.

I also have a '75 that I am rebuilding. It has original Nelsons with the bracing.

The P218 has bolt and gasket style exhaust manifold so I will be fabricating stubs from the engine to the new mufflers with new L- shaped shorty bolt on style exhaust stubs.

I checked the Napa outdoor power equipment catalog. Nothing similar in there.

I checked with a custom exhaust builder, no luck.

Any ideas?

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Correct mufflers for the 72 to early 76 446's have been gone from the scene for many years and I don't know of anything that comes close to matching the originals in size and shape. At this point, making your own out of decent quality stainless steel is probably your best solution because as someone who owned one of those models, I can tell you that the OEM mufflers did not have a long life.

I do know where there is a NOS set but the person wants at least $500.00 for them. While that figure is probably in keeping with the last price for them just before they became unavailable, it is certainly an amount that will push me into making my own pair when I get around to restoring the 446 I have.

·
Registered
186 Posts
In the 70s and early 80s Case was owned by Tennaco who also owned Nelson Muffler Co. It is funny that mufflers have always been kind of a weak spot on these tractors. One problem with the side mounts on the 446s is that the mufflers formed a "dish" on top that would hold water. Even if you kept them inside eventually moisture gets to them. It seemed like an improvement to put the muffler under the hood except the new mufflers were made by wrapping a piece of tin around a tee shirt and clamping the whole thing together with band clamps.
The only decent mufflers that Case had in their whole tractor lineup in the 70s came on their smaller farm tractors that were made by David Brown. They were ceranic coated and unless they were damaged lasted a long time.
Good luck in your search. For my money (which doesn't go far) the Dessert Sunset 446s with side mount mufflers are the best looking Case GTs.

·
HeadCase For My Ingersoll
1,359 Posts
There's a guy in Glenn Rock selling a set of early pancake mufflers for 446. He was asking 4 or 500 for them. I'd bet he has them. Entirely overpriced.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I would toy with the idea of taking a new pancake muffler for a small car application or the old style resonators and slice a chunk out of it. Then reweld it back together for the correct length. If you cut & weld it at the very end it should be easy to do.

:praying:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I was realy surprised to see how deep the top of the orignal Nelsons are. Looks likee they would hold about 12 ounces of water! I am surprised any of them are still around. It shows you though, what type of steel was used on cars, trucks and tractors then, compared to now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts