My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Or, you could just get a box full of those disposable foam ear plugs (about $0.20 per pair if bought by the box, or $0.50 per pair bought per pair). They do not deafen you to the point of not being able to hear things going on around you, and are more comfortable than head phones.

·
Registered
104 Posts
:trink40: I would think that much of the noise comes from the exhaust outlet... not much of a silencer there....... You know what a car sounds like with no muffler and a staight pipe.... Perhaps you could find a small muffler and mount it to your tractor.... Just an idea if you REALLY HATE EARPLUG'S!!!!!!!! I have noticed on some of the old Garden tractors that the guys have put on a stack for the exhaust... perhaps something similar could be fabbed up... Just me 2 Cents ..

·
Registered
758 Posts
while I think it is an interesting idea to install some dynomat (used for aftermarket car sound deadening, I would wonder how that weight would adversely affect the hinges that were not designed for it (and it the hood would accept the adhesive)
I also wonder how much the slightly smaller clearance under the hood may reduce air-flow and the insulation would also hold more heat under the hood...

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Don't like earplugs myself. I feel like I'm in another universe or something. I feel very detached from what is around me.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Probably wouldn't hurt to try it. The Dynamat is what I thought about when I saw the post title. They make an insulation specifically for under hood use, called "Hoodliner". It has a heat reflective coating on one side, and the application side is pressure sensitive adhesive. If that adhesive is anything like what JD uses on its trim and logo strips, you'd better make sure it's in the right place when you press down on it. The plastic material the hood is made of really has an affinity for pressure sensitive adhesive.

www.dynamat.com/technical_specs_hoodliner.html

If you do this, post your results. This is an idea worth considering.

·
The Missing Goonie
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or, you could just get a box full of those disposable foam ear plugs (about $0.20 per pair if bought by the box, or $0.50 per pair bought per pair). They do not deafen you to the point of not being able to hear things going on around you, and are more comfortable than head phones.
I have a set of headphones that are quite comfortable and I wear them when mowing. Earplugs never did much for me.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,649 Posts
I have a set of headphones that are quite comfortable and I wear them when mowing. Earplugs never did much for me.
Second. I hate cramming things into my ears.

Also I second the better muffler. Just make sure it doesn't restrict flow to the point where internal engine damage will occur.

·
The Missing Goonie
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, that's the stuff I was considering. I've used a similar type of product for a car and it did help.

Perhaps you could find a small muffler and mount it to your tractor.
I'm not sure were to start looking for a muffler for my Deere. Especially a small yet effective one.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
When I put a MTD hood and grille on my black deck STX, I applied a sheet of the foil insulation (the stuff that has bubble wrap between foil layers) under the hood.Glued it on with some 3M spray adhesive and really keeps the noise, rattles, and heat down.

·
The Missing Goonie
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I put a MTD hood and grille on my black deck STX, I applied a sheet of the foil insulation (the stuff that has bubble wrap between foil layers) under the hood.Glued it on with some 3M spray adhesive and really keeps the noise, rattles, and heat down.
thanks for the suggestion, i bet its cheaper then dynamat too

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
14,558 Posts
I have often wondered why all small engines can't be made quieter. Is it just a cost consideration or is there a mechanical reason that they are louder than a car? :confused:

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Don't like earplugs myself. I feel like I'm in another universe or something. I feel very detached from what is around me.
I "hear ya"! Well, I don't hear ya like I should because I used to do EVERYTHING without protection. Air jackhammers, track drills, day in day out chainsaw, pistol and rifle shooting, grinding, foundry/die casting, all manner of production machinery...

I don't even fire up my little angle grinder anymore without the plugs/muffs even for a 5 minute job. I still hear "some" of the birds and night sounds but my best buddy can't hear any of them or Spring peepers or cicadas or crickets or disc brake squeelers... I learned just in time, he never did.:D

·
15,000 +posts!
20,416 Posts
Air cooled engines usually are noisy by design..no water jackets or water to deaden the sound is one reason..also the whine of the blower fan..most have lousy mufflers too..

but they can be made quiet,just listen to a stock air cooled VW beetle--all you mostly hear is a whine from the fan,a whistle from the exhaust tailpipes that are baffled and a effecient muffler..if you adapt a car muffler to a small engine it'll be so silent you can hear the tappets clicking,without creating excessive back pressure--you'll be reducing it in fact...lack of space is a problem though,no place to put it!..

I'd say the mower deck is 90% of the "noise" a tractor makes--most of the newer tractors decks sound like a lear jet winding up for take off..they seem to spin the blades a lot faster than the older decks did..actually many of the two cylinder engines are much quieter and smoother than the one cylinder ones used in past years were..

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
We've been wearing the ear muff type hearing protectors but recently got some 'peltor worktunes' with AM/FM radio. The hearing protection part is as good as you can get and working with the radio is a real pleasure.

I'd get some hearing protection before sound proofing an air cooled engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Don't like earplugs myself......I feel very detached from what is around me.
That's not always a bad thing!
Some times when the wife starts up........:lalala:
:sidelaugh

Seriously though, I would be careful about adding insulation to an air cooled tractor. You could cook that engine in a hurry if you prevent too much heat from escaping the underhood area.
I think a better muffler would be a far better/safer improvement.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Anyone who has a Honda generator will tell you how much quieter they run compared to any similar unit powered with a Briggs and Stratton engine. And it's not just the muffling aspect either. It also has to do with the design of the engine and the clearances of the engine parts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Another vote for ear muffs... here hear!!

I have 3 sets...one set of me and a set for each of the kids if they're out with me. I don't care how I look, I want to be able to hear the peepers at night. I want to hear my kids ask for a glass of water at night. It's bad enough that after 30 years of standing in front of Marshall and Hiwatt stacks I have nasty tinnitus(sp?), and anything above 13Khz is a lost cause. I don't need to make it any worse.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
You really don't need to go high decibel headphone/plugs to get necessary protection. My Stihl helmet/muffs are only rated at 24db while my shop headphones are in the 34=36db range (ex-shooting muffs). My Stihl 026 isn't noisy by "olden days" saw standards but it sure is sweet running at 24db. You can still hear talking with them on with the saw idling and you can hear what the wood is doing as it's cutting.

If you feel "closed off" w/muffs or plugs it could be just a case of not taking the time to get used to the difference. It really doesn't take that long to become accustomed to them and the gain in hearing longevity is well worth the effort. "Safety Goggles" are a PIA too but consider the alternative of not wearing those restrictive items. Same for hearing.

I still have to find a "plug type" that will stay in my ears. I'm always resetting my plugs when mowing and can't wear the muffs with my Bailey straw.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts