My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a yard sale a week ago. One of the customers noticed my Cub 1450 and asked if I was in the market for an older big GT. After the obvious answer I went to his house. **** near crapped myself, he had a 1980 Gravely 8169! Briggs 16hp, 8 speed, long frame commercial, hydraulics and a 60 inch deck. Pretty darn clean at that. He told me it was in heated storage for the last 2 years and if $200.00 worked for me, he'd be happy to get more space. After my second obvious answer I took her home. Fresh fuel and battery, first twist of the key and one very nice running beast of a tractor.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,177 Posts
You lucky dog!
You were in the right place at the right time. Good luck with it. I'm sure it will serve you well.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Was that guy drunk, on something, of just didn't know what he had??

Unbelievable!

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe he thought it was a good quality machine. He certainly didn't appreciate it as the gold standard, like myself and some folks do. I just think he saw an opportunity to get the thing out of his way, as he wasn't using it.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
" Hello, police? I wan to report a robbery ! " WHAT A STEAL ! Even I know that he could've done better ! :ROF

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
What a great tractor and an even greater deal.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
You need to add that score to your repertoire of tractors! :congrats:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
That wasn't his house :sidelaugh Had to be a disgruntled neighbor or employee or something it couldn't have been his :00000060: congrats NICE DEAL

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
beautiful!

·
Banned
131 Posts
Congrats! That 60" deck alone is probably worth more than twice the price!

However now I'm confused about what a "long frame" is. I'd thought the wide, hinged hood & painted cast iron grille Gravely 8000-Series tractors were "long frame". Those that have chromed BBQ wire grille, narrow hoods screwed in place, a gas cap sticking out on top & a little trap door to view the battery are what I'd considered regular frame. Are there also "long frame" Gravelys w/narrow screwed down hood like the 8169 pic?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
my 8123 has a bolted on hood.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The long frames, 4" longer, started with some 8000 series tractors in 1980. The 24G, as shown in my avatar, had what was called an extended frame. The flip-up hood started in 1986 with the G-series. The 8123-G had flip-up hood and long frame, for example. I love the long frames and I wish all Gravely riders had hinged hoods, taking them on and off is a PITA.

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Don't you feel just a little bit guilty of taking advantage of that poor man? He obviously wasn't in his right mind.

·
I pee when I laugh
77 Posts
yea the screwed on hoods bite to take on and off - but what a deal you got! Good for you! put that old girl to work!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
yea the screwed on hoods bite to take on and off - but what a deal you got! Good for you! put that old girl to work!
I don't find it a big deal at all. I mean how often does it need to come off?

·
I pee when I laugh
77 Posts
yea i know, you shoudnt have to take it on and off much - i was chasing a fuel leak and everytime i thought i got it and put the hood back on it would leak again - could just be me..:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts