My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lindeman crawler fan
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I got the model T running yesterday and took it for a short ride.
The engine runs great and the gas pedal works really well.

The auxiliary transmission works good but I'm getting a little noise from the U-joint.
With the "T" sitting at stock height. the drive shaft is at too steep of an angle and it is causing the U-joint to chatter.
I had some concern about the drive shaft angle when I was putting it back together but I was hoping it would work OK.
The only way to know for sure was to just go ahead and try it.

So .. that didn't work .. BUMMER !!!
I'm going to take the auxiliary transmission out and go back to the stock transmission and drive shaft.
I'm also going to take the auxiliary rear brake system off because the brackets for the auxiliary brakes are attached
to the brackets for the auxiliary transmission.
I'll put the transmission and the brakes up for sale as a package deal to someone building a lowered model T speedster.

.................. I do have a few more photos ready. ...........................

I welded up the extra holes that were cut into the dash board and got it mounted ( the windshield is out getting the glass installed ).

Running the wiring up to the dash panel.

Finished dash.

Sitting outside with the new windshield mounted.

Installing the hood.

Ready to test drive.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Looks great. Sorry the transmission setup did not work out for you.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
Could you add a CV double cardan u-joint yoke to help the offset problem,instead of ditching the auxiallry tranny?..be neat if you could keep it!..

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,256 Posts
Nice work. Very impressive. :thThumbsU
In looking at your Model T truck pics, I sorta drifted off, thinking about the makeup of the folks that originally purchased and used these vehicle's and how stout and visionary they were. Spring, summer, fall & winter they would be exposed to the elements when operating them and yet they made it and here we are, in our new vehicles highy modified from these tough models from the past and we, tool'n around in these modern marvels in our manufactured climates.
Just something that makes you apreciate where we've come from that much more.....

·
Lindeman crawler fan
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could you add a CV double cardan u-joint yoke to help the offset problem,instead of ditching the auxiallry tranny?..be neat if you could keep it!..
That was my thought also.

The idea of a double drive shaft or a double U-joint would be an excellent idea under normal conditions.
The problem with doing that on a model T is that it has a closed drive shaft.

There is a pivot ball cup and U-joint on one end and the other end is fastened solid to the axle.
Also the outside axle ends are supported by the drive shaft housing with solid radius rods.
My drive shaft ( not counting the rear bearing support and front ball cup ) is only 30 inch's long so it doesn't leave a lot of room
to put in more bearing supports and ball cups for U-joints.

Sealing off the transmission and axle and putting in an open drive shaft creates its own special problems.
You would have to machine and harden shafts for U-joints and for seals to ride on.
Also machine housings for seals and bearings.
Then you have to make supports for the axle so it tracks straight and moves up an down in the correct ark so as not to put any
bind on the drive shafts and U-joints.

as you can see ( in this case at least ), correcting one problem just creates a bunch of more problems.

One way I could correct it would be to switch to a "truck" rear axle.
They have a worm gear drive and the drive shaft fastens to the very top of the axle ( instead of at the center as it does now ).
That would raise the back of the drive shaft by about 6 inches and drastically reduce the angle.
However, my auxiliary rear brakes will not fit the truck axle or drums and the truck uses 21 inch wheels instead of the
30 inch that I have now.
And I don't have a truck axle or wheels.

Right now, I have an auxiliary transmission and brake system that someone can put to good use.
If I mess with it any more, and it still doesn't work, then I'll end up with something that is of no use to anyone.

And besides, some of you were under the mistaken impression that I don't make mistakes.
Well this just proves that I do indeed make mistakes.
More than most as I have a habit of screwing around with stuff that most people have enough sense to just leave it alone.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice work. Very impressive. :thThumbsU
In looking at your Model T truck pics, I sorta drifted off, thinking about the makeup of the folks that originally purchased and used these vehicle's and how stout and visionary they were. Spring, summer, fall & winter they would be exposed to the elements when operating them and yet they made it and here we are, in our new vehicles highy modified from these tough models from the past and we, tool'n around in these modern marvels in our manufactured climates.
Just something that makes you apreciate where we've come from that much more.....
I have often thought the same thing.
This was "High Tech" back then.
Can you just imagine traveling 45 miles and hour! Why 45 miles would take you all day with the horse and buggy.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you add a little downward angle to the engine/trans assy???
Again, a nice thought but not easily done.

The engine has fixed mounts that are designed so the pedals are the correct distance above the floor.
And the radius rod support for the front axle also attaches to the underside of the oil pan and keeps the axle at the correct caster angle.

·
Wile E. Coyote
626 Posts
However, my auxiliary rear brakes will not fit the truck axle or drums and the truck uses 21 inch wheels instead of the
30 inch that I have now.
And I don't have a truck axle or wheels.
First question. What are the differences between an axle for the truck and a car? Different diameter housing?

Second question. Weren't the truck tires a higher sidewall (taller profile) than the automobile tires? The overall diameter between the two may be the same between the two, so the ride height would be the same. Of course if the bolt pattern was the same.

·
Super Moderator
32,482 Posts
Is the joint binding, or just making a noise from running at a steep angle? If its just binding a little maybe you can do a little grinding to give yourself a little more "Wiggle room" in there.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how did they install an aux. transmission back then if it doesnt work now?
I used a 1936 Chevy transmission for my auxiliary transmission.
With the adapter plate, it ended up being about 7 inches longer than the units that were made for the model T.

With the back of the transmission being that much closer to the rear axle, it puts the drive shaft at a steeper angle.

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
I was talking to a friend who collects Ts today. I told him about your project and the problems with the aux. trans. He said there was an aftermarket trans made for that which was a drop in. I think he called it a Warford transmission.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts