My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
on heavy / large items

bought a 240 lb generator new in box and on a small pallet - shipping costs from Cincinnati OH to Richmond VA was $57 via Fedex, on what's called "dock to dock svc", ie seller took it to the Fedex hub for shipment, and it was delivered to Fedex dock here in richmond, where i had to go pickup.

when i asked fedex about their delivering here to my home, it was going to add $65 to delivery cost

still, the dock to dock svc for a large (approx 36 X 36 X 26") heavy 240 lb carton that distance isn't bad

fwiw for some of you guys buying snowblowers, plows or other large items

·
Super Moderator
29,564 Posts
yeah always ask about ALL available shipping options.

i shipped some stuff out to OR for work last week. Tuesday i sent out 9 boxes totalling more than 500 pounds(every box over 50 pounds and 1 was 75) and the total shipping was 500.00, a lot of tha twas insurance since i had 20,000.00 insurance on the total shipment. yesterday i shipped out a laptop to the same address to be there Tuesday afternoon and a 19x12x14 box weighing 12 pounds cost 115.00 to go to the SAME address.

the bad thing is Monday i sent some 140" tubes via truck and they only cost 175.00 to ship. if i had dropped them off and had the other end pick them up they would have been under 100.00 to ship.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,573 Posts
on heavy / large items

bought a 240 lb generator new in box and on a small pallet - shipping costs from Cincinnati OH to Richmond VA was $57 via Fedex, on what's called "dock to dock svc", ie seller took it to the Fedex hub for shipment, and it was delivered to Fedex dock here in richmond, where i had to go pickup.

when i asked fedex about their delivering here to my home, it was going to add $65 to delivery cost

still, the dock to dock svc for a large (approx 36 X 36 X 26") heavy 240 lb carton that distance isn't bad

fwiw for some of you guys buying snowblowers, plows or other large items
I am a retired driver of FedEx Freight, and that is they way to do it...:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've been on the other side, shipping both fedex and ups, as a contract shipper, for over 30 years and had never heard of the "dock to dock" svc -

that was main reason i posted about it - figured likelihood was high others didn't either

1 - 5 of 5 Posts