My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first year(or so) I have had a heavy duty GT.

It's basically a Craftsman GT 6000 with some mods. But I loaded the tires,,wheel weights ,chains and have a heavy duty snow blade on it.

It has a 25 hp Kohler engine ,,,plenty of power!!! Its a beast!!

What I noticed is,,,,,,,I give it way more respect,,being it weighs so much and powerful.
In the manner of it hurting me ,,or running something over(maybe my foot) or really anything,,,, that could be damaged.

Just had a thought of this,,,,,normally with a LT or even a smaller GT does not bring this concern to me. Or at least ,,no where near the same.

Anyone else have this in their mind while using a GT?? The loaded tires and wheel weights have allot to do with it!!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Yes, I am more careful with the larger GT.

For example, my son was mowing with the light MTD. He accidentally ran it towards a tree, went up the root, the trunk, and flipped it over. No injuries, TG.

He drives the larger GT, but we have gone over many more safety procedures and "what if" situations.

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
They will all bite if you give them the chance. slkpk

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
It depends on the machine for me. My Suburbans used to feel HUGE. Now they dont, but if I get on my friends 8N, it feels humongous.

Same for my truck, its a 20' long diesel GMC. Parking it used to be a PITA now its just like any other car.

I respect each machine I use, but I feel comfortable with all of them.

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
Like Hugh said, it's mostly based on what your used too.

I have a 1980 Sears LT10-36, I can lift it up and move it. I used to think it was the cats meow.

Then I got to drive my grandfathers Oliver 770 with tires reaching for 6ft tall. I used to be afraid of it while it was running. ( was 9yrs old and the front tires were waist high instead of knee height now) I got to driving that and found the LT10 to be a Tonka toy.

Then I got my 1970 Sears suburban (SS12) and thought it was the lions roar. I had little respect for what the LT10 could do since I could just lift it and move it where ever.

Now, the LT10 I don't drive so much, I'm too big for it. I let my siblings drive it since it fits them. I use the SS12 for most everything here at my parents. And the Oliver 770 (large farm tractor) gets ultimate respect on the farm.

I may be more careful on the Oliver than the LT10, as if the LT flips I can just push it off me. Where with the Oliver I'd be waiting a few hours for a wrecker intended for semi trucks to come lift it off my cold dead body. All machines deserve a level of respect and safety precautions taken, even the little ones will hurt you, if not hurt you more than the big ones.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well,,I have a 8n and it's a no brainer to really pay attention to everything you do on it. Mine has loaded tires too. One tire weights more than the GT!! lol

After plowing with the GT and seeing the power it has,,and I know it is getting up to the 700- 800 lb range ,for weight.(maybe more) I noticed when I had it idling in the garage ,,I kept double checking to make sure it was locked into neutral.

Well,,,it was a fairly simple thing,,but I realized then how cautious I was being with it. I'm not saying shouldn't be the same way with any tractor,,,but,,,some more than others ,,for me.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
A Gravely L isn't very big or heavy. A lot of people think it looks toy-ish. A lot of people have underestimated one or "slipped" with one and paid a large price tag. Size and weight has nothing to do with the "Injury Quotient". Through experience I became very respectful of little Gravelys!:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.