My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I went for a ride this morning; on the way past the fire station the ambulance came came out of there-- just before I "got there". as I got there, the Chief was trying to pull out behind the ambulance, the same way I was headed. so of course, I stopped so he could go around; As i get going down the road again, I see that they are turning into my subdivision;
my 1st thought was the guy directly across the street from me; he has diabetes/blood sugar "falling off" issues; and has had to have the ambulance called before;
Wrong; kitty corner across the street there's a mail truck sitting there, a bike, and a kid kicking and screaming laying in the ditch;
it seems the kid was following RIGHT behind the mail truck; from what someone that saw what happened said, the kid was "bumping into" the mail truck w/ his front tire; and the mailman decided to back up; and hit him

the kid was so close in behind the truck, that there was NO WAY the mailman could have seen him!!!! most of them have a back window but this kid (only 5 or 6 yo) would not have been tall enough that he could have been seen by the driver turning his head for a look and was so close as to have been in the "blind spots" of the mirrors.

What makes it worse? the mailman that was driving that mail van lives right there; he dropped the last person's mail off (the guy across from him; next door to ME) and was gonna stop off at home for whatever, so he went to back up and could not possibly have seen this kid right up on his bumper... the kid was on a "toddler bike" I believe it was only a 16" wheel, model of a bike.

Now I have yelled at kids jumping my corner before fearing they'd wipe out coming up the ditch, once they come onto the sidewalk and have been told (by the kids, most <10 yo) that "I have no right" to tell them not to jump the ditch; (how would they know at that age, whether it is/isnt my property?) and I have constantly told them that they need to watch out" as people drive thru here like its a racetrack; I always get the "who... ME? I won't get hit; they would not do that. and told to "buzz off" (sometimes in not such a nice way)

The kid was moving around a bunch kicking/screaming, so that was a good sign; I HOPE that his "road rash" that I saw, is the worst of the kid's troubles;; the bike can be replaced, but strangely the bike didn't look "hurt";

like 2 months ago when we got flooded w/heavy rain and I tried to tell a coupel 8-ish yo kids NOT TO be running/jumping in the flooded ditches not knowing what else may be in the flood waters and I got a "so what; I've been sick before; I'm fine now" type of answer.

what's with kids these days? they won't listen to anyone, are "invincible" and think more than ever, nothing will happen to them.
and the kid was screaming for "Mommy" so I'm hoping he'll be alright. but another neighbor was jsut commenting on how this kid is "all over" on his bike; and I have seen him dart out and get right up behind cars tractors other bikes, anything he can "catch up to" all the time.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I hope the little guy is ok.

Where the heck were his parents?

Mine are 6, 8, and 9, and I can tell you where they are 24x7 and they still aren't old enough to be on the streets alone.

But, I'm overprotective. I just got back from vacation with some friends. The husband warned me that his wife was like a mother wolf with their kids. I'm so bad, she was telling me to relax.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I hope the little guy is ok.

Where the heck were his parents?

Mine are 6, 8, and 9, and I can tell you where they are 24x7 and they still aren't old enough to be on the streets alone.

But, I'm overprotective. I just got back from vacation with some friends. The husband warned me that his wife was like a mother wolf with their kids. I'm so bad, she was telling me to relax.
Thats a fact .. I have proof :fing32:

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Glad the kid's O.K. and I hope I dont sound like cold hearted person but if the kid has been warned before like you said then maybe this will teach him a lesson and he will wise up , if it was my kid he would get a whipping on top of it !

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad the kid's O.K. and I hope I dont sound like cold hearted person but if the kid has been warned before like you said then maybe this will teach him a lesson and he will wise up , if it was my kid he would get a whipping on top of it !
I hate to say it but I was kinda thinking the same way... I personally have said something about the possibility of something like this to the kid's older brothers (2) and others around "that age" when I've seen them doing what I think were "stupid things" even though they aren't my kids.

OTOH I know about over protection; you look that one up and more than likely you see a pic of my mother; I am contsantly telling my son (now 17) of all the experiences he has been able to have, that would not have even been thought of in my house when I was that age;
you gotta give them some "slack" but you gotta know when they have "just enough"; this kid that was hit by a car has had way too much as his 2 brothers did at that yong of an age.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rumor around the neighborhood was that the kid was air-lifted to the kid's hospital in Chicago; something about busted ribs and punctured liver; the other neighbor (the mailman) was fired;
and another neighbor stopped by yesterday to tell me the 5 year old who-got- hit's older brother (somewhere between 8-10 I'd guess) darted in and out of traffic twice earlier yesterday and nearly got hit himself; so this other neighbor went over (the kids live next door to this guy) and b*tched out the mother for not paying attention to her kids (which was the reason the 5yo got hit) and that especially having 1 kid in the hospital over an hour away for being hit by a car that she'd see to it that her other kids were safe (her kid got hit and she still hasn't "woken up")

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
I know I'll bashed for this but serves the kid right... Kids think they can do what they want today and I hate that... I stoped a fight last year when a bully was beating on a little kid... The Billie came at me saying its against the law for me to touch him...
I said so.... Have at it and I'll knock you teeth in... I wish he would've tried it...

·
Super Moderator
32,709 Posts
Used to be kids feared their parents, and any adults! Now they just don't listen to anyone! If one of my neighbors had seen that they would've given me a swat and I'd have gotten another when I got home because someone had to "correct" me. Needless to say I listened to adults!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Glad the kid is okay.Kids today just aren't scared of much,I live in the country and my 3 boys(7,9,11 )have to stay in the yard.I am also a fireman and always cringe when we have a child call.
Today at dinner time tragedy struck an hour from me.A family from Quebec were on the island here picking up a new camper.the 3 year old kid was hanging out the front passengers window when he slipped and fell while family member was backing up.He later died of his injuries in hospital 3 hours later.could have been prevented easily.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Glad he is going to be OK, Shame the mailman was fired for something the mother should have doing paying attention to where and what her child was doing..

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad he is going to be OK, Shame the mailman was fired for something the mother should have doing paying attention to where and what her child was doing..
that's the sentiment going around the block too; and the report of the mailman being fired didn't come from him but rather "hearsay" from someone else; I talked to the mailman and he is actually still "on suspension" and has not met to find out for sure if his job would bbe spared; I think maybe if anything just move him off teh rural route and put him in the mailroom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts