My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
21,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this while browsing around. I imagine that it's something that a lot of your builders could put together and the electronics portion would be pretty simple if you have any electronics experiences, or you could grab the paperboy to give you some pointers on that part if needed!

Now, think about this. How hard would it be to add an old cell phone with GPS for guidance? (Not for guiding the mower while cutting the grass mind you, but for finding its way to the garage to grab another cold beverage while slaving away in the lawn chair waiting for someone to turn the hot dogs on the grill.)

·
5,413 Posts
Very interesting reading. Well beyond my capability though. Always fun to see what people will invent. Reminds me of a Macgyver project. Bill

·
LBAD Victim
977 Posts
The hardest part would be getting the programming just right. Fortunately, I am a teenager, so technology is in my blood! (Just kidding, I'm terrible with computers.) Very interesting read.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,894 Posts
Cool! They already have the robotic mowing services down here. I’m not sure if it uses GPS though. It looks just like the robotic vacuums like the “Roomba”. I don’t see any physical barriers on the property lines to keep it from mowing the neighbors lawn, so might be programmed to mow via GPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
5,413 Posts
Pretty sure if the mowers are mowing back and forth in straight lines they would be using GPS. If the mower is going randomly around the yard then it would be like the Roomba. Those mowers, I believe, use a buried wire system to define the mowing boundaries. Bill

·
Registered
43 Posts
Too much technology. My brother in law just bought a John Deere 5100E, I hope that's the right number, 100 HP that can mow the field while you sit under the shade tree with a cold one. On second thought, the air conditioned cab and lazy boy type seat might be a better choice.

·
Lawn Boy
1,543 Posts
I wondered when something like this would surface. I have a Roomba vac for the house and have enjoyed figuring out how it "thinks."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts