My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,
I knew better. Looking for a Cub Cadet ZT2 60" zero turn to cut my newly acquired place with 3.5 acres to cut.
Checked all the specs, Kawasaki FR engine, check. Hydro Gear ZT2800 transmissions with the oil reservoirs. The model is the Ultima ZT2 60.

Looked at inventories,... could only find 6 of them at the local Home Depot. The HD ad is identical to the Cub Cadet specs including the trans and the oil. Priced at $4,299 I took the bait, picked it up yesterday evening and went about checking it this afternoon for loose parts, oil, you know the usual trust but verify.

All was as expected except....there were just mounting holes where the trans oil reservoir are supposed to be mounted. I can see the trans tops, with plugs where it appears that a reservoir hose should be.

Now, I am not in a position to be without this mower since the 3.5 acres of grass is growing quick!. So got on a chat with HD and asked them for the reservoirs, I'll install them myself. Reply was that this model did not come with the trans oil reservoirs and that the store confirmed their ad saying exactly that, was an ad error. Here is the ZT2 60 model as it is spec'd :

Got a few of questions for the Cub Cadet guys:
1 Why am I such a dumb *** some times?
2. Does anyone know if these reservoirs are available from Cub or Hydro Gear?
3. If I get the parts can I remove the plug in the top of the trans, and connect the hose and reservoir?

They gave me a $430 discount so I can get these parts if they are available. The only other option was to spend the time and money hauling this thing back to the store for a refund. I can't really waste any more time trying to return this unit and try to find another one around here.

Once again bitten by big box stores. Dare I say it....never again?

Yours truly, the big dumb dope.

·
Super Moderator
7,278 Posts

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,577 Posts
Ask them if they can take the parts off another machine so you don't have to wait.

·
Super Moderator
9,635 Posts
I would bite the bullet and bring it back....at this point I don't think I would ever be satisfied with it if I were in your shoes

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I would take it back to HD and try to find a bonafied Cub dealer to deal with. You're asking for service nightmares dealing with a big box store, my neighbor will testify to that on a Cub he bought from HD. This time around he just bought a new XT2 from an independent dealer and is happy as a lark.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I think I'm stuck. I really need this mower now at a rural location. Hauling it back is a rental trailer and at least half a day spent on the road.

I checked the trans' model numbers and they are the ZT 2800's so should be able to accommodate expansion tanks. The ZT2 mower's frame has the cut outs and mounting holes for the tanks.

I have decided to take the $430 discount on the purchase price and pursue either Cub Cadet parts, or Hydro Gear parts for tanks and connecting hoses, and install the tanks in the mounts and holes that are already there in the ZT2's frame.

Sent an email to both Hyro Gear and Cub Cadet yesterday to see if they have an expansion tank kit available for this model mower since it was advertises as such by both Cub Cadet and by Home Depot specifically.

This is probably just me, but I like to see fluid levels before each mowing. I don't like "trusting" that the fluid is proper as long as there are no leaks etc.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NJCharlie,
Would you be willing to have a look at your machine and confirm that the set up is just the tanks mounted to the frame, with a hose leading down to the top of the trans? Just trying to figure out what parts I need to buy to install the expansion tanks on my ZT 2800 transmissions.

Here is what I believe I will need unless you see something else..
Tanks with caps (2)
Hoses from tank to trans (2)
Hose fitting to replace plug on top of trans (2)

Thoughts and ideas welcomed as always.

·
Registered
230 Posts
my machine is a ZT1- 50 so it has the lower grade trannies. but the frame is set up to be used as a ZT2 series ,it has the mounting holes and cut outs that would be needed to mount the expansion tanks.

from the parts books for both a 2020 and a 2021 it looks to me that MTD/CC stopped having the tanks on for the 2021 models simply plugin off the ports on the trans.
if you can just add them .personally i don't doubt it's possible ,but with out digging deeper into the parts books i noted above for each .i can't say with 100% surety say it's doable .

take some time with the links i placed above for the 2 model years, check the trans part numbers, if the same .IMMO that means there should be a cap/plug on the trans that could ??? possibly mean remove it,add the hoses and tanks .fill and be happy . like i did with my adding the factory oil cooler from another KAW model engine onto the FR on mine

·
Registered
230 Posts
just did a fast check of the left trans part numbers, 2021 is 618P07713B 2020 is 618P07713
there appears to be a fitting for the hose going into the trans for a 2020 not shown in the 21 parts diagram

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NJCharlie,
Thanks for all this information!! You went above and beyond, and have me on the right track. I found that the ZT2800 transmissions come with either an external expansion tank (like I was expecting to see), and with what Hydro Gear calls an "internal expansion tank". That must be what I have, as there is a fill plug on top and a breather plug near it. There is also the plug on the side where you check that the oil level is even with the bottom of the hole.

Unless I get an email back from Hydro Gear's tech guys advising that external expansion tanks are compatible with the "internal expansion tank" models, I will just continue with my set up for now. The mower runs just fine as is, but had hoped for a better fluid checking system than opening the plug to verify level.

Again, thanks for your research!

Reactions: RedOctobyr

·
Registered
230 Posts
no problem helping any time. not having them makes sense as it's not needed with your machine having internal tanks,
good luck and enjoy it. i know i am thou i kick myself for settling for the zt 1 last year as there were no 2's around where i live , i'd love to have external filters and stronger tranies

1 - 12 of 12 Posts