My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a stop light today minding my own binnus like they say and turned my head and saw this guy mowing with a older ( I guess its older ) Gravely big rider. I took a cpl pics as fast as I could. I grew up in this area. Might have to enlarge it to see anything. It happened pretty fast.
But like I have said before this is Gravely country round here and there was a Gravely shop here and they also moved into another smaller one when things started changing or whatever for them along w/everything else. I think the dealerships started dissapearing about 1990 or so but I worked two blocks from the last one they had here.
And the factory was just 30 mins from here, the smoke stack is still there.
But as most places everything started going to heck and we even had a Cushman dealership here to but it bounced to.

Attachments

·
Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
314 Posts
It looks like a 20G from the 90's.

·
Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
314 Posts
Judging by the black engine, a lot of the 20 h.p. Kohler Magnum's were black, the 16G and 18G Magnums were usually Gravely Mustang red back them, but that is the newer 'G' model. Newer than the 8000 series they replaced.
And for being 30 years old it still looks good and keeps on running,,, because it is RED, not yellow or green,,,Lol.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
By 1993 or 94 all Kohler Magnum engines on GRAVELY's were black rather than red, That means all two cylinder 16-G, 18-G, and 20-G machines, and well as single cylinder 14-G's.

At that time GRAVELY also switched to black engine guards, black snow plows, and black blower housings on the vacuum bagger.

These pictures all reflect how my 16-G tractor and attachments were delivered to me when purchased new in the spring of 1996. My tractor was actually produced in November of 1994.

For a brief time around 1998 the 48" and 40" snow blowers were also black, but returned to red before production ended in 2002.

Since we don't have a better look, that could be a any twin powered G, most likely from late 94 to 97 because it appears to have the angled flip forward seat adjuster mount like mine only used for those years.

Sheldon

·
Registered
314 Posts
It looks like you have the 'Dual' exhaust mufflers on yours. A lot less expensive than the big single muffler on a lot of them.
It also makes it easier to get the oil filter on and off the way its angled back.

·
Registered
314 Posts
That one in the picture has the wide wheels like the 20's had, what do you think Sheldon?
It's hard to see the seat adjuster but it looks like the angled one. I can't really make out the number on the hood.
He's got the carrier on the back of the seat, the milk crate, but a lot of the 20'a had the metal one on them.
I have a black snow plow, but it's a 42" from back in the early 70's and a red 48" from a later year.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
My tractor originally came with the big single exhaust, after wearing out two of them I replaced them with a used set of duals, modified to work with the oil filter.

Yes, the snow plows were black back when the tractors were yellow and white for a few years in the early 70's.

In 94-96 they all had the same 7" width rear rims GRAVELY had always used, 18 and 20's had 10.50 tires, 14 and 16's had 8.50 tires. starting around 97 or 98 the 18 and 20's started to come with 8.5" wide rear rims.

In 94 the front rims also got wider on all G series tractors, so if the tires have been replaced that's not a measure of model number.

The basket was not factory installed on any of the tractors, it was an accessory often installed by dealers but that would fit any tractor. I've seem them on every model.

Sheldon

·
Registered
314 Posts
Your mufflers look good. I have the lift-able rear hitch on mine so it is tricky with the original muffler that I had modified.
The 42" plow came off the yellow and white 12HP Kohler Gravely 400 series around 70-71.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had to have the short head-pipe welded because it cracked on my big muffler. It holds a lot of weight right there with no other support brackets, also had the end caps Heli-Arc welded so they don't blow off if the seams ever go bad.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Your mufflers look good. I have the lift-able rear hitch on mine so it is tricky with the original muffler that I had modified.
The 42" plow came off the yellow and white 12HP Kohler Gravely 400 series around 70-71.
My father had one of those tractors, and the black plow......

Yes, the mufflers worked well for the rest of the time I had the Magnum engine. Still working on a better exhaust for the repower. I did this for now with the parts that came with the repower kit.

I also now have the wider, 8.5", rear rims from the later 18/20G but have tires in between the sizes GRAVELY used, I have 9.50's

Sheldon

·
Registered
314 Posts
I was thinking of putting the wider wheels on the front of mine but decided to keep the thinner ones to help it steer better. They like to 'Plow' out a lot when making sharper turns at speed and plowing snow.
I put 110 lb weight on the front weight bracket when I plow snow so I can steer it otherwise it wants to keep going straight when the plow is down.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
I was thinking of putting the wider wheels on the front of mine but decided to keep the thinner ones to help it steer better. They like to 'Plow' out a lot when making sharper turns at speed and plowing snow.
I put 110 lb weight on the front weight bracket when I plow snow so I can steer it otherwise it wants to keep going straight when the plow is down.
The trick to better steering is round profile tires like the newer Turf Master, rather than the old flat Turf Chief that my tractor came with.

AND, I stayed with the smaller tire size, but upgraded the linkage to 18/20G arms and tie rod ends which give more leverage.

Sheldon

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
The grease fitting versions are not from GRAVELY, I found them and sold them for years on Ebay - you can get them from McMaster Carr.

I also have front tire chains, but I seldom bother.

Sheldon

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had heavy duty rods custom made for mine with the ends like you have, they work good.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man Im glad this is interesting to some of you, Heck I was just sitting there and turned my head and said to myself "Hey theres a Gravley!" Heck I'll try to get a pic or two B4 ppl start blowing their horns lol.
Heck I like those riders now I think ( OMG! )
Sheldon that one of yours looks like its never been sat on much less used, that thing is a real specimin of a nice riding Gravely if there ever was one.
I learned some cool stuff just reading these posts.
That muffler is cool as heck and the re-power kit or whatever really looks like something.
Great looking stuff, that tractor has had some TLC for sure.
Do you use eth free fuel in it?

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
My tractor has actually worked very hard over the last 25 years, but I do take good care of it and it has never spent the night outdoors.

After about 950 hours the original Magnum 18 hp engine developed valve problems. Too expensive to rebuild, better to just go with a modern replacement, a Kohler CH730, 23.5 hp.

I never had any fuel problems with the Magnum, I ran SUNOCO and BP/AMOCO premium. Now I get ethanol free when I can. But I still believe there is a quality difference in the additives and that better brands have less ethanol issues.

Sheldon

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You may be right as Im not real educated on the gas stuff but I get my eth-free at the local SUNOCO station. Funny how ppl call the 87 oct. or the least expensive stuff " lawn mower gas" and I wouldnt put it in my mowers lol.
I ran several tanks of eth-free in my Ford/Mazda Ranger and it might have done something to it, dont know what it was but somethings different in it. I do know about the 2 nd. tank of it when I drove 45 miles to work and 45 back on the interstate it musta seperated something on the muffler or tail pipe or something down there cause I pretty much ran it 80 mph up and back and it ran like crazy lol.
Im aint in any shape to get under it right now but its just a little louder but Im sure something has a crack in it or seperated somewhat from one pipe to the other under there. But about your Gravely going from 18 hp to 23.5 Im sure you can tell the diff on that power switch somewhat.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You figure Ethanol burns at 70% the efficiency of gasoline, and a lot cooler so it doesn't produce as much power per pound of Ethanol compared to gasoline.
Your engine would be running a bit cooler with the Ethanol laced fuel compared to full gasoline. The extra heat causes more expansion to push the piston down harder creating more power per pound so you don't have to give it as much fuel, giving better MPG.
Now with the extra heat created, that can cause some more heat related problems, possibly in your exhaust system like you feel may have happened. A possibility?

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very much so,a possibility that is considering its doing pretty much what you described. I normally just run medium grade gas because it doesnt run worth a darn on the lowest stuff or 'unleaded regular' they call it. I guess theres 87, 89 and 90+ or something but I gotta run the medium grade because it stalls out a lot if I run the lowest grade after a tune up or whatever.
I got 40 cents off per gallon when I filled up today because of my Kroger card I / we use at the store when checking out and I never pay attention to the points but since its high as heck again I got gas there today and scanned my card and got 40 cents off a gal! That is good the way that little 4 cyl. Mazda gobbles gas. And I do get better mileage on eth free but I guess newer engines in vehicles just werent made for that good stuff, at least its not what any of them recomend as most of them recomend the cheap stuff.
But I might run like 1/4 tank of eth free and the rest just regular or med grade gas. I just like the fact that there is no water in it. Its getting some age on it tho, its a 2000 Ranger w/143,000 on it and it looks like a new truck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts