My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the Snowboy 1819 up on Craigslist and I get a call from a guy just across the river in Illinois who actually has the same model Snowboy 1819, however he doesn't want to buy mine. He wants to know if I would like some free Lawnboys as he said he needs the room. So today he brings them all the way to my house and drops them off. First is a model 7259 from 1969. Second is a model 7221 from 1970/1971. And the third is a model 8235 from 1977. All in various states of condition. Now I just need to start going through them one at a time to see if they are worth repairing. Here are some pictures. Bill

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,810 Posts
Nice ones Bill! I see that the 7259 from 1969 has a newer deck. It seems those mag decks from that era were not nearly as durable as the later ones.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The first two mowers I remember having as a kid were a C21ZPN that belonged to my grandpap and my Dad had a Lawn Boy 100% identical to that 8235; it had to have been the same model. My grandparents live right next door so the two mowers were usually stored together. It's funny how you remember things, I can remember almost every detail of those two mowers.

·
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rex! I haven't had time to look them over real good yet. Tell me more about the deck being newer. What era? Thanks! Bill

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,810 Posts
Rex! I haven't had time to look them over real good yet. Tell me more about the deck being newer. What era? Thanks! Bill
The correct deck would be beige (bermuda sand), matching the shroud of course. I don't know for sure, but those mag decks from the late 60s seem to be thinner than the later mag decks. I hardly ever see any of those that are still operational, they just seem to crack much easier and also develop holes quicker than any other mag decks, earlier or later. It looks like yours was swapped out for an early to mid 70s deck, it still has the cover where the top belt drive pulley would be. I still have a NOS shroud for a 1969 model 7259E that I would like to make a project of someday, but those electric start versions seem to be extremely rare. I may just covert my 7260B into a 7259E, that way I'm not really adding equipment to an already over crowded shed.

·
LBAD Victim
965 Posts
Very nice! I like the look of that 8235! I have always liked the look of the Suitcase Shroud.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
1969 was a transition year for the decks. They used the older mid to late 60’s deck but then added the later style rear wheel single adjuster assembly. The proper deck for your mower would have had the round raised location where the round model tag would go but they used the newer rectangular tag for the 1969 model year that they fastened just in front of the rear wheel height adjuster at the far back of the deck see attached for example.

It should also have the beige wheels (not white) with white wall stripes as the attached photo shows also
Hope this helps a little bit.
Geoff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1969 was a transition year for the decks. They used the older mid to late 60’s deck but then added the later style rear wheel single adjuster assembly. The proper deck for your mower would have had the round raised location where the round model tag would go but they used the newer rectangular tag for the 1969 model year that they fastened just in front of the rear wheel height adjuster at the far back of the deck see attached for example.

It should also have the beige wheels (not white) with white wall stripes as the attached photo shows also
Hope this helps a little bit.
Geoff

Thanks for the additional information regarding this mower. I still have not had the time or desire (too cold) to look these over real well. I have the self propelled model in the garage and will start with it. The other two are in my next door neighbors garage as I have no room. My intention with these is to see if they will run economically, make sure they are physically sound, and then try to find good homes for them. None of them will be restored. Depending on what the decks look like, as well as the general condition of the engine, will determine if these are made to be used again or parted out. Bill

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Once you’ve had a closer look over that 7259 and determine what you’re going to do with it let me know as I might be interested in the shroud if it’s in good shape. Obviously if it’s in good enough shape to sell complete I would understand your desire to go that route.
Geoff

·
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will keep that in mind. I am pretty sure the 8235 is going to a new home Monday. That will free up some space to look over the other 2. Bill

·
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I worked on the 8235 yesterday and today. Cleaned out the tank and cleaned the carb. Checked for spark and it was good. Cleaned and gapped the plug. Checked the governor and found the metal collar had a pretty good groove in the top so I replaced it and dressed up the flyweights. Set the governor with the governor tool. Replaced the fuel line and put everything back together. It would fire but wouldn't run. Checked compression and it was good. Tried a new plug but no luck. Back into the garage it went. Removed the muffler and checked the ports. Perfect! Found the lower seal hanging out just above the blade adapter. Cleaned the crankshaft and crankcase and installed a new seal. Put it all back together, fired it up, and it ran great! Smoked a bunch for about 10 minutes but then cleared up. Tested the self propel and it worked okay but seemed to have a bit of play in the bearings just inside the rollers. Had a couple so I replaced them. Works good now. It will be going to a new home on Monday. Next I will start on the 7259. Bill

·
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well Riley (LawnToro) stopped by today as I was helping him out with a Toro Powerlite problem. Turns out the hard restart when hot was due to flooding caused by the brass float not only being set incorrectly from the previous owner but the float was full of fuel. A new needle, seat and float and the Powerlite is good to go.
Anyway while he was here we started to take apart the 7259. This has an incorrect deck as it should be beige but I wanted to check out the engine to see if it would run. Checked and it had spark so a shot in the carb and it did fire. Tore it down and then Riley took off as it was lunch time. Went out later and started to clean everything. Flushed out the tank, disassembled and cleaned the carb, and serviced the governor and adjusted it. The carb was amazingly clean and had the updated primer kit. This carb has the separate high and low speed needles. Anyway I put everything back together and it did fire and run but was very slow and did not come up to speed. Tomorrow I will work under the mower and check the ports. My intention for this mower is for Riley to have the deck for his IH Lawnboy which the original deck had a couple of big holes so I gave him a newer deck from a 7260G to use. Now he will have the correct deck which can be stripped and painted and he will return the 7260G deck to me. The engine, assuming it runs will be set aside until I check out the third mower, the 7221, to see if it has a good engine and will run. Bill

·
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I worked on the 7221 today. Externally it was a greasy mess however the tank and carb cleaned up very nicely and I got most of the loose gunk off the deck. The shroud has the primer hole problem and I will look into a work around for that. After all the cleaning and reinstallation I checked and had no spark. Replaced the points and condenser and got good spark. Installed a new plug, air filter (fell apart), a new collar for the governor, and while checking the ports I noticed that someone had broken the blade adapter and just bolted it all back together, Used a puller and heat to get the round part of the collar off and installed a good used one. Put everything back together and it starts and runs well. This one will get passed along to someone else. Bill

·
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well just an update on the 7221 and 7259. A nice fellow from about 45 minutes southeast of here saw my Craigslist ad for the two mowers and after driving up today and looking over the mowers and hearing them run he bought them both. He did say he may bring his Mag19 up for me to look over and work on. Now I just need to find a home for the Snowboy. Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts