My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, got some serious seat time over the past two days, and its raised a question for me...

So, Wednesday, I was coming back from coffee with a co-worker and talking about an upcoming tractor adventure I have planned (stay tuned for MORE on THAT one after this weekend! There, THAT'S a teaser for ya!)... He says "Oh ya! YOU'VE got a lawn tractor, I was trying to remember who had one!"

Apparently, his son has been away on maneuvers with the Reserves for most of the summer, and the rest of the time hasn't felt up to mowing his lawn.... My co-worker says, well, its over 3 feet tall now.... Sure, I think.... here in the city? I doubt it... Well, he nearly burnt out his electric lawn mower trying to cut it, so they figure they need something bigger... So, Thursday night, we load Littletractor onto the trailer, and over we go....And HOLY COW he was right! I wish I had brought the camera! There were chunks of that "lawn" taller than me seated on the tractor! Yard was about 50 by 60 feet, he had mowed maybe 10 square feet with his little electric before giving up... Blew through all of that in about an hour, even got to mince his rhubarb (couldn't see it through all the grass! :) )...

Took the afternoon off to go mow my dad's lots out of town again, its been about a month since I did it last... That's just a BIT too long.... Most exciting part, actually, was the drive out hauling Littletractor... Nice divided highway, so I'm cruising along at a fairly good clip (the speed limit), pass someone, look over, she's hunched over the steering wheel, holding it with her forearms while she's texting with both thumbs.... Not only dangerous, but also illegal here! So after I shake a finger at her (she looked up to see what farmer was passing her) and I've gotten past her, I'm thinking geez, how dangerous would THAT be if, say, a deer darted out in front of her, when -

Holy [email protected]#[email protected]#$$#[email protected]#! A deer darts out in front of me! Brake hard, off brake to swerve, correct back as it tries to figure out where its going, WHEW it's across and we're both still alive (although BOTH needing clean shorts)! Good thing I was already a fair distance past Ms. silly texting girl, or she'd have probably hit a Deere! :Stop:

After that, the mowing (although fun) was pretty uneventful....Put another 4 hours on Littletractor :thThumbsU! Here's my question tho....

I noticed on both jobs that it seems to take a fair bit of over-cutting to get the bloody big thick thistles and other weeds wacked down... Like, I have to go over things 2 or sometimes 3 times to get a reasonable cut... And I get kinda a "mohawk" pattern happening sometimes where the middle of the deck travels. I don't remember that from cuts I did in June and July, or at least it wasn't this bad... Is that a) my blades (brand new in June) dulling out out me, or b) the weeds getting thicker and tougher by August? Littletractor still does an awesome job on the (mostly) grass in my yard, so I'm not sure its my blades, but this IS my first summer mowing extensive weed patches so I don't have a good reference point....

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I get that too on my 445 JD and 1650MF. I think it's the center rollers on the mower and the tractor tires pushing down the tall grass and the mower going over it before it can fully straighten back up. Both of my mowers do an excellent job on a normal lawn. I usually go back and remow the grass a couple of days later if I have to tackle one of those gorilla jobs, that cleans up the cut and rechops all the cut grass so it'll disappear faster.

·
16,524 Posts
going over and re-cutting another time usually finished up a job like that..

might also be time to re-sharpen your blades...and check ur machine over good..

·
Registered
406 Posts
taller grass/weeds take loner to stand back up ............ I usually just take a half pass and that takes care of it, but it of course takes twice as long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts