My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm hardly new to the site but new to the wheelhorse forum. I'm considering buying an old wheelhorse 857 and had a few questions that hopefully somebody can help me out with. First of all I don't know much about wheelhorse tractors so if there's anything that I need to look out for with this model let me know. I think it's a '66. It has a 8 hp kohler which smokes but that doesn't concern me too much, I can rebuild that with no problem. The tractor is said to slip out of 3rd gear and you need to hold it in for it to work, this concerns me. Does anybody have an idea about what could cause this and whether or not it would be fixable, is this a common problem with these tractors? One other thing is the gas tank is mounted on the side of the hood. I can tell this definitely isn't this way from the factory, my best guess is it had fuel pump problems so this allowed it to be gravity fed? No real question with that one but just some more information about it. The other question I had was it doesn't have any attachment at all. I would eventually like to get a snow plow and deck and wondered if these are typically available or are they hard to come by? Any ideas as to value on something like this? Thanks for any feedback on this stuff.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The 857 is a short frame tractor with a 41-1/4" wheel base. The 8=hp, 5=electric start with 3 forward speeds, 7=1967

You can download the operator manual for the 857 from the Files of
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals1_1/

Attachments should be easy for you to come by. The list can be found here
https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro
Enter the 857 model numner and the next page has a link to the list.

Don't know why the transmission won't stay in 3rd unless it's not getting all the way in to start with. Easy to pull the shifter out after putting the transmission in neutral and check it's condition. Sometimes the roll pin securing the donut to the shaft shears and you lose some of the control because of it. You can download the transmission service manual from
https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm
Enter the 857 model number and type the word none in the serial # box. Many transmissions from other models can be used as a replacement if needed. They later called them 4-speeds because they started to included reverse.

Garry

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Hey guys, I'm hardly new to the site but new to the wheelhorse forum. I'm considering buying an old wheelhorse 857 and had a few questions that hopefully somebody can help me out with. First of all I don't know much about wheelhorse tractors so if there's anything that I need to look out for with this model let me know. I think it's a '66. It has a 8 hp kohler which smokes but that doesn't concern me too much, I can rebuild that with no problem. The tractor is said to slip out of 3rd gear and you need to hold it in for it to work, this concerns me. Does anybody have an idea about what could cause this and whether or not it would be fixable, is this a common problem with these tractors? One other thing is the gas tank is mounted on the side of the hood. I can tell this definitely isn't this way from the factory, my best guess is it had fuel pump problems so this allowed it to be gravity fed? No real question with that one but just some more information about it. The other question I had was it doesn't have any attachment at all. I would eventually like to get a snow plow and deck and wondered if these are typically available or are they hard to come by? Any ideas as to value on something like this? Thanks for any feedback on this stuff.
If thats the one on ebay I wouldnt bid on it there are much nicer wheel horses out there for less

1 - 3 of 3 Posts