My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
That's a cool link. I found it interesting that the sheves only turn 2.5 times to move it..
Me too! But then I realized with a 16' diameter, that yields 125' of vertical lift! Impressive!

·
Administrator
12,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That's a cool link. I found it interesting that the sheves only turn 2.5 times to move it..
Me too! But then I realized with a 16' diameter, that yields 125' of vertical lift! Impressive!
-I'll get a photo of some of the mechanicals next chance I get over the bridge. You can get a look on the Cape side.

--I'd like to do some road tripping down your way DJ. I'd like to show my kids what a Shay looks like up close, and hear one run! Thanks for the pictures!

·
Super Moderator
31,369 Posts
-I'll get a photo of some of the mechanicals next chance I get over the bridge. You can get a look on the Cape side.

--I'd like to do some road tripping down your way DJ. I'd like to show my kids what a Shay looks like up close, and hear one run! Thanks for the pictures!
I tried to talk the crew into it when we went to VA last year, but I couldn't sell it.... Maybe next time.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
The company houses in Cass are also for rent by the night. The money isn't bad at all. The two trains I posted are about an hour apart and there are two more train rides in between. We've got us a nice little tourist railroad industry going if we can just keep it up.

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
It's been awfully cold for some time now, way below average this time of year. Last night we went for dinner over the bridge in Sandwich Ma. and looked down at the canal to se the ice flowing with the current. It was after 8pm so it was dark out but you could see it clearly with the lighting from the banks. Anyhow, I went for a ride over this morning and brought the camera with me, was 35 degrees or so, and snowing. It was just about high tide and the current went slack about 15 minutes after I took these photos. Here they are...

View attachment 1167265 View attachment 1167273

View attachment 1167281 View attachment 1167289

View attachment 1167297
This reminded me of the bridge in Cleveland that got stuck in the DOWN position...:rolleyes:
http://www.19actionnews.com/story/684259/coast-guard-hopes-to-fix-stuck-bridge-in-3-weeks

·
We're all friends here
13,838 Posts
DJ, that Shay is 110 years old and it is the oldest Shay still in service. I would love that ride if I ever get down there. :thThumbsU

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
If you make it down this way you had better speak up and let me know Al. I live an hour from Cass and the drive is beautiful. My wife and I spend a lot of time there. A ride up the mountain over some frosty sodas would hit the spot.

All of the locomotives at Cass get a lot of TLC. The Big 6 still shines like she did when Lima delivered her and the reborn Heisler from the Meadow River Lumber Company makes some trips from time to time.

·
We're all friends here
13,838 Posts
:thanku: DJ! I appreciate the offer and will keep it in mind.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have rode a lot of the trains here in wv the Potomac eagle over in keyser , cass railroad a few times , the Tygart flyer along with the salamander which comes in from the other side to the same falls there is one in kingwood I haven't been on and one that goes from Charleston to Huntington I have seen on rfd tv a few years back I also rode the durbin train cant remember the whole name there is a lot of nice scenic tours but my favorite place is spruce knob Seneca rocks area I go there atleast once a year I am from grafton and in the early 1900s this was a big train town we still have a depot . my grandpa was a boilermaker on the railroad and I love the old coal fires so cass has to be my favorite railroad of this state

·
We're all friends here
13,838 Posts
Good shots of the old bridge and rails Paul. :fing32:

·
We're all friends here
13,838 Posts
Mike, those weights had to be massive to lift that huge chunk of metal. Was the bridge normally kept up or down, or moved as needed?

·
Administrator
12,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Mike, those weights had to be massive to lift that huge chunk of metal. Was the bridge normally kept up or down, or moved as needed?
Al, it's always raised for boat traffic to pass. It's only lowered when the rubbish train needs to cross or during the summer months trains like the Cape Flyer, from Boston to Hyannis or the Dinner and excursion trains also cross. They are seasonal only. I believe there are two other lift bridges in the USA, this is the only one left in the UP position, the others are always left DOWN and raised for boats.

That's the mainland side right Mike?
Mainland side Paul :fing32:

Next time I'm over there I'll get some better close ups of the row of lift cables and other details.

·
Administrator
12,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I stumbled into this video a few minutes ago on YouTube. At about 1:30 it shows the lift bridge coming down. Also some tug transits in the canal and the TS Kennedy lined with Cadets.

·
Administrator
11,751 Posts
I'd love to snoop around in the mechanical rooms of those while they are moving! :tango_face_glasses: That looks like electric motor driven. The old steam powered bridges would have been something to see in their day.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts