My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Administrator
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been awfully cold for some time now, way below average this time of year. Last night we went for dinner over the bridge in Sandwich Ma. and looked down at the canal to se the ice flowing with the current. It was after 8pm so it was dark out but you could see it clearly with the lighting from the banks. Anyhow, I went for a ride over this morning and brought the camera with me, was 35 degrees or so, and snowing. It was just about high tide and the current went slack about 15 minutes after I took these photos. Here they are...

IMG_1097.JPG IMG_1098.JPG

IMG_1099.JPG IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

·
Registered
849 Posts
Interesting photos Mike. Got to admit that I felt a cold chill go through my body when looking at them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great pics Mike. It's been cold here in Sandwich, I'll vouch for that. Lots of snow to boot, worst I've seen in 30+ years.

·
We're all friends here
13,972 Posts
B-r-r-r! Do they still use that old bridge Mike?

·
Administrator
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They sure do Al! I got a ride over it last summer, it was really neat. They use it daily year round for trash removal from the Cape to the incinerator in Rochester, MA. Summer months they've started doing dinner trains from the mainland over the bridge to Barnstable or Hyannis and back. That lift bridge is a work of engineering, the two huge counterweights, and a load of cables and sheaves to make it raise and lower without binding up.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Great pics Mike. That is one sweet camera. :fing32:

Those old lift bridges are a structural engineering nightmare too. Toss in wind and an ice flow and the forces acting internally on that bridge are tremendous.

·
Administrator
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
22,321 Posts
Now that was a good read Mike. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
31,422 Posts
WOW, looks cool... and cold!!!!

You guys have had a wopper of a winter over there!!! Hope all the snows gone by summer!!

That is a real cool bridge. Never been on it, but have a few pictures of it from the cape side approach from about 20 years ago. Ive never gotten to see it down, or moving though.

·
Administrator
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You need to hang around until dinner time Paul, 5-6pm the train is heading back to Rochester. Pick up some sandwiches and grab a picnic table, it moves every morning and evening for the rubbish train.

I still can't believe you've stayed on the Cape for so many years and haven't seen the rail bridge move! Lol

And seriously, yesterday was 35 degrees when I took the photos and it felt great, just a sweatshirt and I was comfortable. We hit 40 yesterday afternoon when the sun came out for a while, heat wave!

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Very nice pictures Mike.

Yesterday sure was a beautiful day!
We hit 40 here too. Snow on the back of house roof came off well.
Lots of shoveling deck and stairs off. :Stop:
Definitely thinking up some sort of cover for next season. It's becoming a PITA. My Son has been doing it all winter so no biggie. Yesterday I shoveled it off 3 times as roof came off at different times.:hide:

MU

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Impressive! I'm sure everyone realzes that is salt water, which freezes at a much lower temp. So to see that much ice there means it must be C-O-L-D!

The lifting rail bridge is very cool. Mike, I will be honest with you, I'm not sure if I've ever seen it moving up or down or in use either??? :dunno: Maybe as a kid, but I don't recall seeing it anytime in recent memory. I guess my timing is bad. But come to think of it, when we stop along the canal it's usually down closer to Bourne, so we wouldn't see the rail bridge from there...

·
Administrator
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John, I once had a guy walk up to me, my wife and I were walking our bikes over to the paved canal access road, we were dating at the time, no kids. The guy asks me a question, completely serious. He said, what is that? Pointing toward the lift bridge. I responded, it's a bridge for the train to cross the canal. His response, again serious, How does it get up there? I explained and he was satisfied with my answer and walked away. But my wife and I got a laugh out of it, the tourist season can be entertaining!LOL

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,097 Posts
Cool pics, Mike. Has that ominous Gothic look. Great history there, too. How many folks take the time to look and wonder?

We were north of Albany for the weekend. It was bitter cold until Sunday morning. Can't remember the last time 30 degrees and sunny felt so warm. Just a sweat shirt. You could just feel them batteries re-charging :thThumbsU

Thanks for sharing!

·
We're all friends here
13,972 Posts
:sidelaughI guess he had never heard of the Aero Train.

·
22,321 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,422 Posts
Cool pics, Mike. Has that ominous Gothic look. Great history there, too. How many folks take the time to look and wonder?

We were north of Albany for the weekend. It was bitter cold until Sunday morning. Can't remember the last time 30 degrees and sunny felt so warm. Just a sweat shirt. You could just feel them batteries re-charging :thThumbsU

Thanks for sharing!
Ya it was nice. I was out in a hoodie all day enjoying the sunny 35deg sunshine!!! You know you live in the northeast when........

·
Administrator
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
22,321 Posts
OK, I can go OT with trains and I do have a spot for passenger trains. That Cape Flyer is nice looking, all modern and all. :D Any time you want to slow down, take in some good mountain air and get to play in a nice waterfall at the midpoint of the ride, come on down to WV and take a little jaunt on the New Tygart Flyer.

The train isn't scheduled to run in the winter months but an early or a late snow can still catch it out:

The destination: The High Falls of Cheat

If you like the pace even slower, you can always hitch a ride in front of a Shay at Cass Scenic Railroad State Park:

The Shay's can get hit with an early or a late snow too:

There, I almost kept it on topic. :D

1 - 20 of 65 Posts